PDA

View Full Version : X and Y Zeroing

thewoodcrafter
03-23-2008, 12:40 AM
I am having trouble running the xy zeroing routine on my PRT Alpha. I have adjusted the prox switches, the lights work, checked the wiring, etc.
The X works fine, runs neg, stops at the prox, runs back to zero, stops, runs neg, stops then runs back to zero.
Y runs neg and does not stop at the prox switch, hits the stop and trips. The light works on the switch and on the screen then goes out as it moves past and hits the stop.

What is wrong?

sawdust535
03-24-2008, 02:53 AM
Roger, have you tried turning off the "File Limit Checking" under [VL]. Not sure if that is your problem but would try that when zeroing the xy.

thewoodcrafter
03-24-2008, 03:14 AM
The File Limit Checking is off.
I have not set that up yet.

Thanks for responding, I had hoped more would.

sawdust535
03-24-2008, 07:53 AM
I think I read a thread awhile back where someone had the same problem and they relocated the position of the proximity switch just enough to prevent hitting the stop.

thewoodcrafter
03-24-2008, 10:25 AM
You mean like the carriage didn't move far enough before hitting the switch so he moved the target a little further away?

khaos
03-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Rodger make sure the proximity switches are at least an inch outside the zero for each axis and that the switch can be tripped before the blockes are hit. If there are is not enough space from the zero to the switch it will not work.

for example... x proxie -1.8 y proxie -1.5

HTH,
Joe

bill.young
03-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Roger,

From what you've posted I'm guessing that it's a software setup issue and that the XY zero routine is looking for the wrong input trigger for the Y-axis prox switch. Is the Y axis prox switch connected to the #2 input and the X axis prox to the #3 input the way the new tools are setup, or are they both on the #3 input?

If you get in touch with support they can get you fixed up quickly.

Bill

thewoodcrafter
03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Bill, that is the way they are setup. Y- #2, X- #3
I will try Joe's suggestion today. The y switch is closer than 1".

Thanks Guys.

scottj
03-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Roger,
Make sure that X is on input #2 and y is on input #3. If you have it configured the other way around then the routine will not work because it moves the X axis first so it is looking for input #2 to trigger first so if you have it on input #3 then it will fail every time.

thewoodcrafter
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Scott,
I have it that way.
The target for Y is only about 3/4" away from the switch. I will try moving it further away.

P.S. thanks for the help yesterday, you saved my bacon.

bill.young
03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Scott's correct of course..it's X on #2 and Y on #3 for the new tools. I just finished setting one up...should have remembered better!

Bill

thewoodcrafter
03-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Well I found the problem today. Target spacing, wiring changes did not do it but helped locate the problem.
The code below is form the program that measures the offset distance from 0,0 to the prox switch.
The program was downloaded from the ShopBot site in February. New? the latest?
For a PRT it is looking for the contact on terminal #3 for both X and Y. I have them switches wired to #2 and #3. When I changed &Ytrgt to #2 things worked perfectly. So the problem was the code was wrong. Fixed now.

Check_PRT:
&TrgtHIT = 1
&Xtrgt = 3
&Ytrgt = 3
IF %(53) = 1 THEN GOTO Getoffprox
GOTO Start_Zeroing
Check_PRS:
&TrgtHIT = 0
&Xtrgt = 2
&Ytrgt = 3
IF %(53) = 0 THEN GOTO Getoffprox
IF %(52) = 0 THEN GOTO Getoffprox

Gary Campbell
03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Roger..
You are right. There are 2 versions of the XYZero routine. (C3) The version for the older machines with both of the prox switches wired to terminal #3, (uses 2 normally open switches in parallel) and for the newer machines with normally closed switches on terms #2 & #3. THe normally closed switch is a better option as it can be tested by the software. If you cut a wire on the normally open setup, it would act normal.... until you needed it, that is.

I was going to list the line number so anyone could tell which file it was, but I just read the newest version (#3?) supplied with the Beta software. It seems this file will check to see if the machine is a PRT or PRS and operate accordingly. Looks like there is some reading up to do. It also seems they are now adding 20 lines of license items that may affect some of us that distribute and/or modify files that originated at ShopBot. Good reading!!
Gary

bill.young
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Hey Roger,

Glad you got it working. FYI, the XYzero routine is setup to sense the 2 ways that tools have been shipped from ShopBot. The PRT tools have "normally open" prox switches ( the rectangular-ish ones) and are connected to the same input switch, #3 by default. The PRS tools changed to "Normally Closed" prox switches (the cylindrical ones), which required that the two prox switches be on seperate inputs. Toward the beginning of the file the XY zero routine looks at the status of the #2 input switch, and if it's "Normally closed" it assumes it's a PRS, and if not it figures it's a PRT.

I'm guessing that you have PRT prox switches but that they are connected as if they were PRS switches, and when the XYzero routine saw that the #2 switch was Normally Open it decided that you had a default PRT setup and that both switches were on input #3. We'll have to think about how to sense non-default connections like that, but I'd suggest saving a copy of your modified XYzero routine, just as a backup.

Bill