View Full Version : Cutting Radiuses

cbradshaw
05-03-2006, 07:17 PM
I have cut several sign blanks with an 8 inch radiuses at the top and they all cut fine. I copied the sign blank, edited the test in Part Wizard and everything looks fine, however when I cut it on the machine it cuts in line segments instead of a radius. I tried it in preview mode and it shows this but the model looks fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,

carroll

paco
05-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Carroll,

What's your tool? SB3 or DOS control?

Look good from design AND toolpath preview, right?... have you looked CLOSELY?

Assuming you're using SB3, what setting do have for Circle resolution from the VU fill-in (default is 0.05)?

Toolpath in PW right?... what is the tolerance setting used for the toolpath?

Mostly, how bad is it?... pix?

cbradshaw
05-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Paco,

I have a prt 48x96 running SB3 Software.
I have already cut 10 of these blanks flawlessly.

I needed to change the text and use the same shape background so I copied the shape and edited the text, saved as a .sbp file and cut the sign in signfoam. The results came out as attached. The model looks good but the preview shows the line segments. I have re-created the toolpaths and get the same results. The VU is at 0.05.

Also the radiuses in the text did not cut correct either

Thanks,

Carroll

paco
05-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Check for any play throughout the machine while powered (not the router/spindle motor!) from router/spindle chuck to Xs pinions... if it was good before, why shouldn't it be now?!?!?

To be honest, I would have been surprise that VU setting would have been changed as the tolerance in your CAD/CAM; this is not the kind of setting that get changed very often...

No attached... let me know if you need help; though you should fine it all about posting pix in the help...

Again, I'd check for something loose (like pinions, mounting, Y hold down and such) on the tool now... keep us post.

Material hold down is solid, right?!

cbradshaw
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
I keep getting an error message when trying to upload the image. The image is 15k and I get an error message saying it is over 25k

cbradshaw
05-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Paco,

The problem is not in my machine. I machine the previous file and it cuts fine. I believe there is something happening in the post processing.

cbradshaw
05-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Picture of my issue.

paco
05-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Do you still use the ARCS post (Shopbot(arcs)(inch)); maybe gremlins have swapped it to non-arc one (Shopbot(inch))... make sure you use the arcs one and keep the non-arc one for "special" purposes.

From your first post, sound like you've edited (imported?) the file into PW... from PW, select the vector and go in node edit mode (N key). What do you see; bezier(s), arc(s) or straight lines?