PDA

View Full Version : Move Speeds changing

jfhammond@kwic.com
12-16-2002, 10:04 PM
I have been setting my speeds slower on smaller written items like name-plaques and the like to see what the thing can do. The latest thing is the speeds keep reverting back to another setting like the ones I had 3 parts before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

rgbrown@itexas.net
12-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Are you "resetting the 'Z' and your Z_Zero program resetting your speeds?

One can always put a "SS" or "MS" command as the first line in your cutting file.

HTH,
Ron

bill.young
12-17-2002, 06:53 AM
Jim,

If you are using Part Wizard to do your files, it sets the speeds at the beginning of the file depending on which bit you've selected. It's a pain when you select a bit that you haven't used before ( most of the defaults are WAY too fast for my old uni-strut tool).

You can change the speed settings by clicking on "Tool Database" below the "v-carve text" icon, and selecting the tools that you use. Click Edit and you can change the speeds...Feed Rate for X and Y, Plunge Rate for Z.

You can also open the file in the editor (FE) and either delete the line that starts with MS or make it a comment by putting an apostrophe (sp?) in front of it.

Hope this helps,
Bill

grant@shopbottools.com
12-17-2002, 10:14 AM
Bill is exactly right. Undoubtedly the bits you used 3 parts ago are the ones you're using now, and the file you are running is no doubt setting the speeds back for you. Very convenient when it's working for you, frustrating if it isn't. If addition to Bill's suggestions about how to remove or remark the MS setting out in File / Edit mode, you can also change the speeds to whatever you want and save the code again that way. It is important to take note of the move speeds given in PartWizard to be sure that they are appropriate. These can be altered in the library, or in the individual toolpath once the bit is selected, and that change will not alter the library. If you have any more questions about this, email me.

Grant

jfhammond@kwic.com
12-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys.

I'll try the re-set in Parts Wizard and see if that will work.

See ya, Jim innnerbayboats

tlempicke
12-18-2002, 07:28 AM
Actually this is one of the niftiest features of Parts Wizard.
Say you are working on a project that needs a certain size bit and much slower feeds than you usually use. All you have to so is set up a tool along with all of the speeds, stepover, stepdown and such in the tool database. You name it something like "PROJECT" and then each time you have selected it all of the speeds along with the size of the tool become the default.

gerald_d
12-18-2002, 07:56 AM
Our preference is to leave speed settings out of the .sbp file altogether. Before running a file, we take a glance at the cutter, think how sharp it might be, look at the wood, wonder how hard it is and if there is a knot in the way of the tool, and then dial in a speed based on gut-feel. We don´t let the program mess with our "carefully calculated" speed settings.