PDA

View Full Version : using Fusion 360

Mike Windsor
12-19-2022, 11:03 PM
I have Fusion 360 and use it for designing parametric furniture and other things . At the moment I cant figure out how to set up my shopbot in the machining module , so I export a .dxf and create the toolpaths in Aspire . Sometimes the vectors come through as un joined curves were you dont want them broken. This takes a lot of fiddling with the imports in Aspire to make them cut correctly . It would be nice to be able to use the machining module in 360 to create the toolpaths . There is a drop down list in 360 of hundreds of machines , but Shopbot isn't one of them . Has anybody used Fusion 360 to creat Shopbot toolpaths ?

srwtlc
12-20-2022, 01:18 AM
If you know JavaScript, you could edit or create one. You could try one of the basic G-code posts and see how it works (SB3 will run the basic G-code commands), but YMMV....greatly. SB HQ should really make one for it.

Mike Windsor
12-20-2022, 07:51 AM
If you know JavaScript, you could edit or create one. You could try one of the basic G-code posts and see how it works (SB3 will run the basic G-code commands), but YMMV....greatly. SB HQ should really make one for it.

I would have though that Shopbot would have done this as well . Especially since they used to include it with the tool. Unfortunately I dont know anything about Javascript

gergistheword
12-20-2022, 09:42 AM
I use Fusion 360 to post to my shopbot buddy all the time. There is a post in the Fusion 360 Library called "ShopBot OpenSBP".

From the post screen in Fusion, click the "Post" dropdown and "Choose from Library". Click "Fusion 360 Library" and you should find it there.

Cheers,
Greg

coryatjohn
12-20-2022, 10:41 AM
I would have though that Shopbot would have done this as well . Especially since they used to include it with the tool. Unfortunately I dont know anything about Javascript

I don't believe SB ever included Fusion 360 with their machines. Fusion 360 was first released in 2013. I got my machine in 2013 and the product included was a short version of Aspire. I can't remember exactly what it was called but I upgraded to the full Aspire shortly after purchasing the machine.

I find Fusion 360 to be quite excellent for designing 3D printables and other things. I find it difficult to use with SB so I do the export DXF method which really is pathetic. I find using Aspire with SB to be more intuitive, faster, and produce the results I want so I abandoned Fusion 360 for use with the SB except with the DXF export. Now that I've upgraded my control system to Acorn, I'm probably going to take a look at it again.

srwtlc
12-20-2022, 12:34 PM
Greg is right, there are 3 post for SB there, just checked. I've never had need for machining a file from Fusion with my SB, but have posted a few for UCCNC and Centroid Acorn.

etc6849
12-20-2022, 10:14 PM
I'm a newbie, but I've only used Fusion 360 (free version) with a used ShopBot I picked up. I created a deck and spoilboard with a grid, and have also done some engraving. Fusion 360 has a ton of tutorials on YouTube and other places. I just watched 8-10 videos on YouTube to learn. You don't pick a machine, but select ShopBot OpenSBP in the post library. Fusion 360 is really a pleasure to work with, and you can define your parts using variables that can be changed after the fact.

I do wish ShopBot would model some machines like mine (it's a 5 axis PRS Alpha), but this really isn't needed for 2.5 milling. My understanding is you need a machine model to check for collisions in the toolpath for complex toolpaths (i.e. 5 axis, etc...). Once I get more familiar with things, I'm going to try using all 5 axis, and will have to use Fusion 360 as VCarve Pro doesn't even do 5 axis toolpaths.

bill.young
12-21-2022, 09:31 AM
I am not by any means a Fusion or 5-axis pro, but my understanding is that currently anything over 3 axis requires a paid subscription for Fusion. The regular paid subscription lets you do 3+2 machining for 5-axis which is fine for a lot of people, but for full simultaneous 5 axis you need their manufacturing extension.

Mike Windsor
12-21-2022, 04:07 PM
Where I find Fusion really usefull is with cutting plywood parts . The thickness can vary a lot with plywood , so it's nice to use the thicknes as a parameter in the design . This makes it very easy to update the files with different plywood .

srwtlc
12-21-2022, 07:19 PM
One other thing to note, the "free" version of Fusion does not output rapid (jog) feedrates, just the cutting feedrates.

etc6849
12-23-2022, 06:31 PM
Thanks! You are correct: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Is-there-an-additional-cost-required-to-perform-multi-axis-machining-with-Fusion-360.html

And yikes $1600 per year!: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/machining-extension?mktvar002&term=1-YEAR&tab=subscription&plc=F36MEIA

Wonder if the machining extension includes the base subscription (guessing it doesn't)... Even with their black friday pricing, I can't justify spending that much each year for a hobby. Plenty for me to do with 3 axis for free though ;)

Inventor appears to be the same way and is even more $$$: https://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor/overview?term=1-YEAR&tab=subscription&plc=INVPROSA

I am not by any means a Fusion or 5-axis pro, but my understanding is that currently anything over 3 axis requires a paid subscription for Fusion. The regular paid subscription lets you do 3+2 machining for 5-axis which is fine for a lot of people, but for full simultaneous 5 axis you need their manufacturing extension.

Mike Windsor
12-31-2022, 12:33 PM
I've found some excellent tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzknioA34F8 . I was using the free version of 360 , and took advantage of a sale and bought a 3 year subscription . I think at the time it was $1200 and includes the ability to create toolpaths for the Shopbot ( once I figure out how ) . The only thing I dont like is that when I first bought a liscence for Fusion 360 a few years ago it was $120 for 2 years . Then after investing some time learning it the price went way up , but at least they had the free hobby user version . A lot of usefull features are removed from the free version , and I can apreciate that Autodesk wants to make it just inconvenient enough that you want to buy the working version to keep them in business . Some of the abilities for the free version made it possible to do most things , but with a lot more steps and creative work arounds , ..The risk I dont like is that I will invest my time into learning the program , fall in love with it then the next renewal might be way beyond my means

Marc F. Lupien
01-09-2023, 10:35 PM
Yep, I use Fusion to create toolpaths for my Shopbot Desktop all the time. I rarely use VCarve anymore.

geneb
01-14-2023, 07:47 PM
I'm kinda sad I didn't know this prior to spending the $400 for an Aspire upgrade. (Autodesk has a sale going on for F360 - $382 for a year. Good until 1/31.)

g.