PDA

View Full Version : What we have here is a failure to communicate

rcnewcomb
08-18-2009, 04:27 PM
We are working with Shopbot Tech support but so far we have not foud a resolution.

Issue: The control software can "see" the Shopbot but cannot communicate with it.

I'd appreciate some troubleshooting tips.

Background:
PRT Alpha48 with Porter Cable router and indexer purchased in 2005
Running SB3.6.5 control software
Brand new computer running XP home (the power supply failed on our original computer 10 year old computer)
The Shopbot is detected by the setup software and appears to have the correct ATEN driver associated with the port
When we run the Shopbot program it starts, pauses for a bit, and then displays the Yellow screen indicating a communication problem. It can SEE the Shopbot, but it cannot COMMUNICATE with it

Control box behaves normally. Relays click like normal when you power up and press the reset switch. No scorched areas visible on the circuit board.
Loaded the IOgear driver from the Driver folder under the Shopbot control software.
We have changed the USB cable -- no difference
We have swapped out the IOgear USB to serial connector -- no change
We have tried a Dynex USB to serial connector - could not even see the Shopbot
Other USB devices work fine on this new system.

tmerrill
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
First thing I would do it try to isolate it to either the computer or control box.

Can you obtain another computer from a friend or family member and try that? Even if it's Vista, you are just using it to test comms, not run projects.

If you get the same results, it points toward the control box. If it works, you have an issue, either hardware or software, with your computer.

Other thoughts:
Have you tried going back to an earlier software version?
Did you reload the drivers?

Tim

wberminio
08-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Randall

I just had the same problem!

I'm Running SB 3.6.5 And XP Home PRS Standard

Couldn't find the problem!
Call Support and couldn't figure it out.
I turned Everything off.Control Box and computer
waited a while and turned it back on.

Everything worked!

Can't figure it out. Only thing different is that we're finally getting a summer and didn,t have the AC on.Also the fan I have in my cabinet with control box and computer was disconnected.
Did it get too hot?

Erminio

jerry_stanek
08-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Did you try to reload your firmware on the shopbot controller? I had that problem and that solved it.

dlcw
08-18-2009, 06:51 PM
You might want to consider an earlier version of SB. I'm on 3.6.1, have been running it 10 hours a day 4 to 5 days a week for the last 2 months and it has never lost communication or had any other burbs for that matter. When I was on 3.6.3 I was having several different problems, all of which went away when I back-peddled to 3.6.1. I don't know about 3.6.5 - I'm a little gun-shy about making the leap from something that works to something that ??????

Just my .02 cents. I'm not saying it will work for you or solve your problems but it worked for me.

Don
www.diamondlakewoodworks.com (http://www.diamondlakewoodworks.com)

myxpykalix
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Randall sounds like "you need to get your mind right"...or at least the shopbots mind.

I have had sorta similar problems before and here is what you need to do.

Turn everything off to begin with, the control box, computer, ect THEN go over to your power supply to the control box and shut off the circuit or unplug it (whatever model you have) because the control box will hold in its memory even when turned off certain info. By cutting power you let that go and everytime i have had that problem it solves it (only a couple) and it doesn't delete table coordinates or any important settings. Let us know if that works.
Just shutting the power on the control box will not fix this.

knight_toolworks
08-19-2009, 05:41 PM
you did install the Dynex USB drivers right? I bought one and it has separate drivers and that change the com port info.

scottcox
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Randall,

I had a similar comm. problem and Frank from ShopBot suggested a ground wire from the computer chassis to the D-Ring on the (USB) serial connection to the ShopBot control board.

I was up and running immediately! It's worth a shot.

-Scott

tmerrill
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Randall,

How about an update. I hope no news doesn't mean bad news.

Tim

richards
08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Randall,

Have you tried adding a USB Hub? Some motherboards give marginal voltage. A hub might boost the signal levels enough to make everything work.

rcnewcomb
08-25-2009, 11:26 PM
We are back on the air.

Basically we tried everyone's idea all at once.
We double-checked all our grounds including grounding the USB connector
We powered off the breakers to the control box
We put a USB hub in line to boost the signal
We changed out the USB/Serial interface
We unplugged everything from the USB but the Bot
We made sure no extraneous programs were running
We reloaded the firmware
We fired up the Shobot control software and we were back in business.

Gary Campbell
08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
We did this one step at a time, so that we now know which one, or combination, worked?

Gary

myxpykalix
08-26-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm sure it was MY suggestion that FIXED it! lol

rcnewcomb
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
My gut feel says it was a combination of Jack's and Jerry's advice. I think the power-off plus the firmware update were key.

harryball
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
The fact that by only reading, my wisdom can pour through the internet into forums and help people find solutions to their problems is staggering to the mind. ;-)

Glad you resolved it, I've had similar issues myself and the solutions generally started with "ok, walk away..." in the middle is "post to the forum..." followed by "doh... I must be an idiot" :-)

/RB

GlenP
08-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Sounds like the bot called in sick that day!!! Didn't you get the memo that if your machine goes on strike or is calling in sick that it will flag this yellow screen to the operator....and you can try all you want, post all you want it will be back when it is good and ready.
I read on some brochure once that automated machines are better than employees and never call in sick or take day off????? Sometimes I wonder??? I'll bet that Jack Jarvis's bot calls Fred at centurion tools all by itself and won't allow Jack to insert any other tool from another brand (it gets spindle lock if he tries and takes three days of bed rest to recover), Sorry Jack I had too.

rcnewcomb
08-28-2009, 09:17 AM
It has been running so well the past few days we decided to reward it with a new spoil board -- its almost like a new machine now.

Did anyone else notice the sound of the Bot changed when you loaded the new control software? The motors seems to be running smoother and quieter now.