PDA

View Full Version : Y axis Prox switch light never goes out.

scottbot
05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi All,
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but the Y axis Prox switch light doesn't go out even when the switch is made up. Both X and Y lights remain on as they are supposed to when running normally but the X light goes out when it gets made up; the Y doesn't.
They appear to be functioning properly in that they both stop carriage movement when they are made up.
I had to change the default input value in the control software from the default normally closed to normally open before they would work. I double checked the wiring and it is correct according to the manual.

I have a PRSalpha with a 4HP HSD spindle. I have just got it set up and am trying to learn how to drive it.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Gary Campbell
05-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Scott...
The PRSalpha switches are normally CLOSED. Double check your wiring at the control box connector. You should also contact SB Tech Support, if your wiring is correct, you may have a bad switch.
Gary

scottbot
05-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks Gary,
I'll have another look at the control box.

Scott

Gary Campbell
05-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Scott...
Check out this tech post from ShopBot: http://www.shopbottools.com/posts_%26_messages.htm
Good Luck, Gary

scottbot
05-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Gary,
I checked my wiring and it matches that in the tech post.

Sadly, I have to admit that I deserve a "Bone Head" badge because I adjusted the proximity switch targets to bring them closer to the switch and now the light goes out when the switch is made up. I did have them adjusted according to the specs in the manual (0.080") but that isn't close enough. The manual did say to adjust the gap to ABOUT 0.080".

It still insists on being set to normally open though. It won't run at all when I set it to normally closed.

I'll contact Tech Support tomorrow unless it is a holiday there tomorrow too. In Canada it is Victoria Day tomorrow.

Thanks for the help Gary.

Scott