PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard layout

ljdm
01-08-2008, 12:42 PM
If anybody else has a problem with their arrow keys backwards due to where the table/home position is in relation to the keyboard - switching wires, connectors, etc won't work. The keyboard is meant to be facing a certain way, unless you move home position. I tried all combinations, called Shopbot.......
However - a freeware program works very well for remapping keys, even extended keys. Just tried it with XP, works great, REALLY easy to use. Called KeyTweak v2.2.0 I have it if anybody can't find it. Only 250kb (including un-needed manual)

harryball
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Thanks Lou... is it only active when certain software is active?

I've often thought the SB software should let me define which arrow key moves the gantry which way while in keyboard mode. I tried a quick utility (don't know if it was the same or not) that let me redefine keys but it just created a new problem when I tried to use the arrow keys elsewhere.

I currently have little labels stuck on the keys for the gantry directions, that slows me down a tad but not much.

Robert

ljdm
01-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I use my shop computer for the 'Bot mainly, use it a little for some design work, so the arrow keys are used mostly for SB. The program remaps whichever keys you pick, and all programs are affected. Also really easy to remap back and forth if necessary. I nver thought of little stickers - but don't know if that would have helped me, I'm used to a certain key making something go in a certain direction. Oh well.....
remapping helped my situation for now. I'll just have to live without those keys in other software, or try to remember they are backwards.

dubliner
01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
This is coincidental , Grant Bailey was just kidding me about this - its easy to remember the direction the keys are supposed to move but I can never remember the Shopbot direction arrows - so being a low tech guy I popped the buttons off and put them on in the Shopbot orientation. Works for me.

harryball
01-08-2008, 06:50 PM
I only use my system for a bot controller... but I do edit a .sbp file every now and then to change the speed or make some other adjustment and using the arrow keys backwards was a pain.

I used the labeler my wife bought, a Ptouch I think, made little sticky labels and that was that.

Robert