PDA

View Full Version : Makita router collette problems

phil@philsfoils.com
03-27-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm using the Makita RF1101 router in my Shopbot. The usual problem with it is that it won't release the bit... after undoing the collette nut all the way, it takes a few sharp raps with a wrench to get the collette to spring open and let the bit go.

Worse problem today... three times (and with 2 different router bits) the collette allowed the bit to slip down and take a big gouge out of the work piece. That's never happened before, and I kept ensuring that I had tightened the collette fully.

Anyone else experiencing these problems? Any tips?

Thanks
Phil
www.philsfoils.com

papadaveinwy
03-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Phil, Most people experience this at one time or another, What I do is to make sure the collett is clean ie:blow some air in it each time I change the bit. and I spray a light silicone spray on all my bits, and let it dry that seems to help with sticking. as far as the bit coming loose you may want to check that the collett hasen't cracked and or has something in the splits. David in Wyoming

steve
03-28-2003, 04:41 AM
Phil, once a bit slips in the collette you can be sure it will happen again as the friction is enough to put small burrs/ridges on the inside then you start using too much force when tightening so causing possible damage to the taper spindle and threads etc. Best cure buy a new collet, think I recall manufacturer saying they only give them so many (?) hours life and then should be replaced anyway.
regards
steve

phil@philsfoils.com
03-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Phil

www.philsfoils.com

phil@philsfoils.com
07-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Okay, after a couple more slipping-bit incidents I've got a new 1/2" collet from the local Makita service center... for $48!!!!! Hey, the whole router was only $295. This is pure greed on their part (even in Canadian dollars).

Any options on getting replacement parts elsewhere? Are collets specific to a given manufacturer's router, or can you get generic replacements?

Thx
Phil

rgbrown@itexas.net
07-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Phil,

You can get generic reducing bushings but most collets are not interchangable.

PC router bushings are cheap enough where I keep a couple on hand but haven't needed them.

Ron