PDA

View Full Version : Carving Depths

shawn_formatix
01-07-2008, 01:15 PM
I am afraid I will make everyone dizzy trying to see what I see in this picture. Maybe this is clear enough.
In the picture below, you will see in a finishing pass, as the cutter moves in the +y or the -Y directions, or the +x and the -x the cut depths are different but consistant. One way is slightly deeper. Although for the tolerances I work in there is no problem, It makes finishing the part a nightmare. I have seen this same action now on 2 different Machines. Any idea what is causing this? Cutter size doesn't seem to make a difference, and my toolpath is being generated by Visual Mill.

Thanks All

Gary Campbell
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Shawn..
How about some basic parameters: Material, tool type/size/length, cut speed, depth per pass, stepover etc?

zeykr
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Hard to see, but looks like the cusp from a ball nose cutter. What size ball nose are you using and what is your step over set to?

cnc_works
01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Sometimes I think it is just the slight differences in forces between the conventional cut in one direction and the climb cut in the other direction of the raster. It would slow the cut down considerably, but if it were important you could program it to cut in only one direction on the raster and see if that improved your situation.

Donn