PDA

View Full Version : Restarting a file at a specific line number?

tablebuild
05-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I am unable to find a way to restart a file at a line number in the book or by guess work on the computer. Does anyone know if this is still possible?

hh_woodworking
05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Under file look for[G] goto line/ single step. then load file, start and a box will appear to input the line you want it to start at. Be careful that you are about where you want to be before you tell the bot to run because it will put the z height first and move x & y next. I have lost project with deep cuts in wrong spots when using single line start.

Ed

Gary Campbell
05-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Ramsey...
You should be able to use the [FG] [filename.sbp] command. You have options to GOTO a line number and/or RUN FROM HERE. Hope this helps.
Gary

paco
05-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Say line 387 is

M3,12.7453,36.8035,-0.3754

and you want to resume from that line, you need to reach for that position (with the tool) first before using the FG command to resume from that line.

If not, say you resume at this line (above) from

it'll move from

to

12.7453,36.8035,-0.3754

doing a niiicccceeee loooonnnngggg cut in your material.

Hope that help.

I wish ShopBot could make a post at the technical column about the FG command and resuming a cut with it. A year or two ago, someone from SB sent me a pretty good document about it.

lexluthier
05-08-2008, 09:08 PM
One thing I discovered last week when using the Go To Line command is that the move speed (MS)within the file is not recognised and will revert itself to the ShopBot software default.
You must change the move speed (MS) to the values you have previously set in the file before running the routine.
I have informed Ted at ShopBot about this issue.

Mark

Gary Campbell
05-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Another way of looking at GO TO LINE 387, would be.... "Ignore all lines before 387"

You could also run the header portion of the file, to load variables and parameters, then jump to the desired line, and run from there. As Paco says above, you will want to position the tool in a position so that the first move it will make does not damage the material.
Gary

jsfrost
05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
As others have said, starting at the desired line can result in Paco's "loooonnnngggg cut". One approch to prevent this is to start a few lines early.
Stealing from Paco's example say the present position is 0,0,0 and line 385, 386 and 387 are:

MZ, .5
M3,12.7453,36.8035,.5
M3,12.7453,36.8035,-0.3754

IF you want to resume cutting at line 387 in this example one approch is to restart the program at line 385.

jseiler
05-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Another way is to edit the file to make sure it acts nicely. Create another copy, delete the lines already cut, insert the above mentioned move command(s), and go from there. This is what I usually do to make sure everything is well behaved (after having the ugly long cut through material fiasco happen to me).

John

Brady Watson
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Quote "You must change the move speed (MS) to the values you have previously set in the file before running the routine."

This is a very good tip, Mark - and worth noting for those that try the FG command. Since the FG command will skip to the line that you enter, it will skip the MS command in your SBP file, and if you were just flattening your table at 8 IPS, that may not be ideal, depending on what you are cutting when you use FG.

-B

beacon14
05-10-2008, 02:22 PM
It will also skip any SO command to turn on the router/dust collector etc. Instead of using FG I usually insert a GOTO TEMP command after the needed startup commands at the beginning of the file, add a TEMP: label line where I want the cutting to resume, and then run the file normally.

Of course you have to remember to remove the GOTO line if you ever plan to run the file again in it's entirety.

pross
05-30-2008, 12:19 PM
I have used FG to restart at a specific point but have had to use trial and error to find the correct line to go to. The reason is when I write a file or edit a file, I don't have line numbers. I only see line numbers in shopbot. Does anyone know of an editor that can open a sbp file and show me line numbers?

paco
05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
You will find the line number you/it stopped at in a *.log file that has the same name: mycut.sbp = mycut.log

If not already that way, you can enable part file logs in the VD fill-in sheet (Write Part File Logs).

Sbedit have a line number indicator. See the green shade bellow.

scott_smith
05-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Paul, The editor my computer defaults to shows the current line the curser is on at the bottom of the screen. I just click, scroll, click, scroll, and click until I find the line I want to start at.
Hope that makes sense,
Also, pick a line that has the Z above the material. That was a tough lesson for me.
Scott

cowboy1296
05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Not sure what was going on with the power company yesterday but the power went off at least 6 times during a 1 hour period and right back on. Fortunately I was not cutting anything but it brings up a question. I understand C3, and go to line, but if you are not watching and don't know what line you are on how do you determine where to start over at? Chances are this is pretty basic

srwtlc
05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Rick,

A couple of ways that I have used are, if you look at what is already cut, there may be some distinguishing point that you can say "That's where it stopped" and then look at the file for the corresponding place or a jog just before that place. Instead of using any go to line attempt, I'll just edit all the previous stuff out of the file, save as, and run that file.

Another way (one that many may not know of) is to preview the file in SB3 and then hover the cursor over any of the red or blue tool path lines and the line number will show at the bottom of the preview screen.

When location is truly lost instead of file location, I've resorted to using the tool (v-bit or end mill) and carefully nudging it into a known location on the partially cut project and then reset SB3 to what that location is in the file. The dots of i's and periods are good if it is v-carved text. In this case, one could always make a reference mark on the part, but I'd always forget to do that. ;)

cowboy1296
06-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks Scott, as usual you got me to thinking. So many have commented on the loooooooooog cut when restarting a file. About a year ago that that happened to me, unfortunately I had not read this thread.