PDA

View Full Version : Accidently Knocked Something "Out-Of-Square"

billmaj
04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
I've been running my PRT120 for almost 3 years using Artcam Pro and AutoCad. Didn't have my endmill high enough and ran it into the edge of my material while attemptiing to jog home after a cutter change. After 6 hours of clearing, cutting, vcarving etc., all I have left to do is cut out these two parts and I have a serious alignment problem. From the home position, the cutting program seems to begin in the right place at the far end of the Y axis (let's say X,0,Y,48). However, upon arrival at the Y,0 position, X has become out of alignment by .1875. I checked for squareness, disconnected the control cables to check for binding and everything seem okay. Has anyone got another idea of what I might have disrupted?

supertigre
04-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Bill you have "racked" the Y carrage. One of the ends is .1875 further along the X axis than the other end. You may be able to fix it by disconnecting both X motors and pushing/pulling the Y carrage up and down the X axis. If that does not fix the problem just give the end that is further down the X axis a bump (2X4 and big hammer) to knock it back into position. Or clamp a stop block to the X Rail touching the Y carrage, disconnect the X motor at that end and tell the carrage to move about .2 - .22 past that point. It may take multiple tries or larger displacements with either method to dial it in. Reset Home after these adjustments. Have fun.

Guy

billmaj
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Guy, thanks for your response. I definetly have to realign the carriage. My only concern is that when I checked it with a square it is right on. Maybe since framing squares are so reliable, it will be just as square after the adjustment. That will be tomorrow's job. Thanks again.