View Full Version : SB3.4.16

wayne_walker
01-20-2006, 01:25 AM
I recently installed SB3.4.16 on my design computer. The first time I set a tool path to an AUTOCAD file in PW2 I had the file pause when I went to preview the file.

It said, "Your software is currently configured for 3 axis mode. The file you are running is either for a second head or a rotary indexer. A second head file requires 4 axis mode and an indexer file requires 5 axis mode. To run this file successfully, go to the VD command and set your software accordingly. If you did not intend to operate a second head or indexer, go back to your design software and use the appropriate postprocessor. .

I went to VD and it was set for 3 axis. I went to AUTOCAD and I had saved the file as a dwg file. I then saved the file as a .dfx file and PW2 could not identify the .dxf file.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

steve4460
01-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Hi Wayne
I had that same problem not to long ago .
There is a drop down box " Masine output ...."when you save your toolpath just make shure it is set to "shopbot inch ".

Brady Watson
01-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Wayne,
Stephan has the right idea.

Let's make a few distictions here, so that you can get some clarity. PW2 likes DXF v12 or v14 best it seems. You can set the version when you save the file in AutoCAD, or have your customer save it as this format. If saved as newer version, PW will probably not recognise it. Other than that, it sounds like you have your design down pat.

Once you have it in PW & you have created a toolpath, you now need to save the toolpath in order to run it in SB3. When you go to save the toolpath, you have several post processors that you can select, depending on the type of cutting you intend to do.

For general cutting, use the Shopbot_Inch post or ShopBot_Arcs_Inch post. Once you select a post, it will 'stick' and be set by default the next time you use PW.

Hope that helps
-Brady

gerald_d
01-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Out of curiosity, what does PW, being a 2D system, do when it receives a 3D dxf file. I'm guessing it knocks all z-values down to zero? Or does it give a message that it cannot handle the z-values given in the input file?

Brady Watson
01-20-2006, 10:29 AM
It fails to import the 3D DXF.

-B

gerald_d
01-20-2006, 11:16 AM
How does it fail? Does it "flatten" the object depicted in the file, or does it give an error message?

(I get the impression that Wayne made a 3D dxf in AutoCAD and he is having problems getting PW to read it - maybe he is expecting the impossible)

Brady Watson
01-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Gerald,
It gives you an error message that says that it failed to import the DXF. There is no flattening of the 3D data. No vectors or any other data for that matter comes in at all.

-B

wayne_walker
01-20-2006, 01:39 PM
TO All...

I am very new to AUTOCAD and when Gerald mentioned a 3D drawing, it just HIT ME that I may have set a thickness to the part!!
I will go into the drawing and check it out. I will report back.

Thanks to all for the quick response.

Wayne

wayne_walker
01-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Brady,

You hit it right on the head, it was set to save as "shopbot 2 head(inches).

Again, THANKS TO EVERYONE for helping use new users

Wayne