View Full Version : PROX-LIMIT SWITCH HIT

radone
11-09-2008, 05:42 PM
I have been running my alpha for some time, early o8. I'm now getting a Prox-Limit switch fault continually when trying to run a surfacing file created with the controller software. The spindle is nowhere near a Prox-Limit switch. Though I don't believe it to be in the creation of the file as it appears to be fine, this has me at a loss, as it will fault in all axis and within a short time of file start. Also, with manual or M command the controller will just stop and I will have to redo. Any thoughts before I call SB.

Gary Campbell
11-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Randy..
1)Grounding, 2)prox wires run close to stepper & spindle wires and 3)a bad prox switch seem to be the most likely causes. Search the forum for stop hits and prox issues, there are many posts with a lot of info.
Gary

radone
11-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Thank You Gary,
I will go back thru them again, with what I read nothing seems to fit. Do you believe that with no trouble to this point and what appears to be sudden, it would be in untouched grouding and wires that have not changed position to one another? I will check my board connector blocks as SB has had appearent trouble with them and have sent new as yet to be installed.

Gary Campbell
11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Randy...
There are many little things that may be hard to find. If it is grounding, just a humidity change could cause extra static. Vibration could loosen something. Many things that dont appear to have changed, could have, just not noticebly.

You can turn your limit checking off. [VN] or you can try turning input 2 or 3 to a standard switch to try and isolate the problem.
Gary

radone
11-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Gary, I'm going out right now to check on some things you posted in mid Sept. as well as above.

dana_swift
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Randy, look for worn insulation on the wiring. My cables were a little too tight and I "wore" through so the conductor touched the SB frame. It gave me a similar symptom. I would be part way through an SBP file and the machine would "prox limit fault" and stop. Needless to say I was annoyed. But a little while later, re-routed cables, electrical black tape, and viola! Its back to running fine!

D

radone
11-10-2008, 04:12 PM
At this point I can't even move the gantry without it faulting. Something has definitely changed and after all these months. Will continue towards fix and follow up with post. Thank you Dana