PDA

View Full Version : X Motor Tracks Not Long Enough?

zeke
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I've looked at just about everything and have taken a number of measures to eliminate losing position on my machine. As I'm continuing to try to eliminate this problem, one thing I noticed that I hadn't before is that my X motors are snugged up to the absolute top of the motor bolt tracks where the mounting bolts are attached. This is not the case on my Y and Z motors, there is about 1/4" - 1/2" left in the bolt tracks to spare after snugging them up. That said, what if the X motor tracks were cut too short and I'm not getting enough force / torque from the pinion to the gear rail and getting some occasional slippage as a result of this!

A few questions. Anyone know how I could test this theory without having to do the following? Anyone have any recommendations in how I would approach cutting / extending the length of these tracks an additional 1/8" - 1/4" to rule this one out? Is this advisable? Could this affect quality if not done correctly? I have a 2009 48X96 PRS Standard.

beacon14
11-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Elbow grease and a round file.

Not sure about the first question.

Gary Campbell
11-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Zeke...
I would check with SB on this, but it seems strange that you have run out of adjustment slot. Possibly a wrong adapter plate? Possibly smaller pinions? They can steer you straight.

With the other 3 bolts in place, pull one completely out and make sure that the slot ends at the tapped hole in the side plate. Replace and repeat for the other 3 bolts.

If you do need to lengthen the slots to ensure that you are fully engaged in the rack, use a Dremmel type tool.
Gary

zeke
11-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the good feedback!