PDA

View Full Version : Strange Spindle problem

thewoodcrafter
04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
My PRT Alpha cut great yesterday when I shut it down for the night.
This morning I went to use it had a problem cutting.
I found that the spindle was running backwards!
Now how the heck did that happen? I had to switch 2 wires of the 3 phase going into the VFD to get it running in the right direction.
None of my other 3 phase machines are having a problem.
Has anybody ever seen there 3 phase change?

Brady Watson
04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
It's most likely not a 3-phase 'switching' issue. Somebody must have switched the direction the spindle turns via the VFD. Your VFD (after toggling thru the menu on the keypad) will say FWD for forward or REV for reverse rotation. Betcha somebody hit that by mistake...

-B

thewoodcrafter
04-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't think that is possible. I am the only one that uses the machine and I would really have to dig out the VFD instructions to find out how to reverse it.

seana
04-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm going to agree with Brady on this.
There is a button on the VFD control panel (on the ones that i have seen, i don't have a spindle) that reverses the direction of the spindle.

Makes a lot more sense then having the wiring get switched around by trolls.

Sean

harold_weber
04-16-2008, 11:57 AM
One of my VFD units has a F/R button on the little control panel (F/R means Forward/Reverse). The other VFD units I have can be reversed with a program parameter.

thewoodcrafter
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Well son of a gun, I feel stupid now.
I looked at the VFD and wouldn't you know
a button to reverse. Never noticed it before.
Must have hit it myself.

curtiss
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
We always had to be careful hitching up motors to vertical turbine pumps... if you had the motor turning the wrong way, the pump spins off the motor shaft in about .001 seconds...and then drops to the bottom of the well...never did that but it has happened...

Brady seldom gets things backasswards....