PDA

View Full Version : "locating tool", then computer locks up

mjindustry
03-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey guys,
When i open SB3 it says..."locating tool", then computer locks up a few seconds later with the hour glass icon. Never fails, has happened a dozen times in a row.

Any thing I could try to fix this?

khaos
03-01-2009, 01:00 PM
poking in the dark a bit here but you can make sure you can use your USB (assuming you have the USB SB interface) with other USB devices.

Also, make sure you have the latest version of your USB driver and the SB software.

If you have any anti virus or firewall software make sure it will allow the SB software to access the USB ports ...

HTH,

mjindustry
03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Hi Joe, I'm currently using a serial connection to run the shopbot. I should try and connect with a usb. I'll do that now.

mjindustry
03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
This one looks good and I have a radio shack nearby.
Radio Shack Gigaware usb to serial (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3120513)
I can't tell if that serial plug is male or female. But it is probably what I need, which is male at the serial end, correct?

mjindustry
03-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Ok, Well I picked up the Gigaware USB to Serial today from Radio Shack. Got connected to the bot on my new laptop that has vista home. Seems to work great.

Couple questions:
People have complained about using vista and SB3...how come? It seems to work fine so far.

Also, for grounding. How do you ground out your stuff to a laptop?

myxpykalix
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
you're not grounding anything to the computer, you want to keep problems away by grounding your table/control box to a seperate ground (like a ground rod) your dust collection by running a copper wire thru pipe and grounding to the case of the dust collector. The idea is to keep static and other interference from creeping into your lines so as not to corrupt the signals from the computer to the bot.

mjindustry
03-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks Jack. So you are saying that I don't ground the pc running the bot at all? Well now I'm really confused. Look at line 6 and 7 from Gary Cambell's grounding tutorial...

6) From the start, run a wire to the control box. From the control box connect to the ground lug on the UPS and to the computer chassis.

7) Some boards can benefit from a ground wire inside the USB cable to the control panel ground lug. Contact ShopBot Tech support for details

khaos
03-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Laptops are a little different. The shielding wire/jacket on the USB cable will suffice to ground the lappy. The outer layer of the USB cable is grounded and will connect your lappy to ground on the control box. Which I am sure you have grounded to the bot.

... unless you REALLY want to disassemble the lappy to get to the frame. (seriously, just kidding, don't do that)

HTH,

mjindustry
03-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks Joe, although Jack statements are still a bit conflicting with Gary's write up.

Currently, for grounding I have a wire running from my power box ground to both sides on the x rail, to the Y car, and the Z. Then it runs to my control box. I also have a line running from my dust collector to the Y car and alligator clip on the vac hose.

It seems to work ok, but knowing myself, it's probably all wrong.

The laptop is a temporary solution while I get my older dedicated desktop back to working order, or replace it.

Thanks for the help guys, now it's off to cut some files!