PDA

View Full Version : Com port ok, but no connection to control box made

robredick
03-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Com port Seems ok, but no connection to control box made[Port4]... Does anyone have any advice for me???

richards
03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Have you checked that your machine is really using COM4? On Windows XP click Start. Click Control Panel. Click System. Click Harware. Click Device Manager. Click the + sign next to Ports (COM & LPT) and then look to see which COM port is being used by the USB to serial device. On my computer it is COM3. If that is the case with your computer, just tell SB3 to use COM3 and you should be able to connect.

robredick
03-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I am sorry that I was not clear. It does the same if I am connected to port 3 or 4...

robredick
03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Also, if it helps, I have a 4G on a prt...

srwtlc
03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Rob, is this the first time with the 4G? Is this with the latest beta software? If so, you'll need to load the control box firmware first. Go to Start/ShopBot/Control Box Loader.

robredick
03-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I bought the machine used. It worked when I picked it up. I did have to upgrade the control software (per Chris @ SBT). I picked up a new serial to usb from Radio Hack that I will also try. I have ordered new geared motors that should be here Friday. I just want to get it set up while I sit and wait.. I am sure that many out there know how it is to have a new toy & not get to ride it>>>

robredick
03-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Yet another bit...I have been reading through a bunch of stuff.

The E Stop is not hooked up. Could this have something to do with it? It was not hooked up before. But, it seems that the new control SW may need it...

I am running through all of the things that I can think of for my 5 hour wait for PG&E tomorrow.

Brady Watson
03-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes...E-Stop MUST be hooked up in order to make any connection with the tool!

-B

robredick
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
it boils down to the fact that the simpliest thing is often overlooked...

I only had 1 power supply plugged in....

Chris @ ShopBot is BRILLIANT!!!