PDA

View Full Version : PC ROUTER FAILURE

mark_holm
08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Can anybody tell me what the symptoms are of an oncoming PC router failure? Mine is starting to make a strange noise, plus some other oddities. Also, what's the process for replacing the brushes if necessary? Thanks.

steve4460
08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Hi Mark

Mine was making a squiking noice the other day , I sprayed some WD40 on the bearings on the bottom and the top ( you may have to remove the top cover for that ) and it hasen't made it since.

Bot on

kerrazy
08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Mark,
If you do a search in the forum, you will find quite a conversation regarding bearings for the PC router. If you tke it to an authorized PC repair centre, you could have them replace the brushes and bearings fairly inexpensivley. BUT, I caution you to ensure you get good quality bearings versus off shore bearings. the offshore bearings cause real excessive heat as they are slightly out of round. This heat is tranferred to your collet and thus to your cutter for some undesirable results. You PC repair fellow can test it right away when he rplaces the bearings and feel the heat. So that being said, ensure you run the spindle with him at the repair centre to ensure it is cool when it runs before taking it home and finding out after you have it installed that it over heats.
Dale

gus
08-03-2006, 11:31 PM
I have had heat problems with my PC router in the past. put in ZZ C3 bearings and have not had a problem since. Read this post for the scoop: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/3961.html

mark_holm
08-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Another dunb question: I've been running the PC router that came with my PRT 96 in 2002. Recently I tried to remove the router from the collar for service. The router is held in the metal collar with a plastic bushing (about 1/8 inch thick)that encircles the portion of the router that contacts the metal collar.

I can't get the darn thing to come out of the collar. The plastic bushing is catching on something inside the collar preventing the assembly from moving more that an inch or so upword. I have applied enough force to crack the lip at the top of the bushing but don't want to break it completley. What's the trick to getting this thing apart?

kerrazy
08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
There are two I believe metal furels(spelling) that insert into the router base, (not included) you have to turn the router motor until these line up with the split in the plastic bushing. Ensure you open up the cast mounting enough to allow the bushing to expand, there are a couple of holes I believe in the bushing to accomadate those ferrals.
Try and remove the bushing and router as one piece and you should be OK.
Dale

cnc_works
08-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Also be sure that you have loosened the secondary screw just below and to the right of the clamping screw. Ask me how I know...

Donn

bob_reda
08-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I just sent in my PC7518 for service. Bearings it needs. I called 3 different PC repair centers and two PC service centers. No one that I talked to heard of any excessive heat problems on the PC7518. I tried to explain to them what the problem was, refered them to this web site for reading. Asked them to put a better set of bearings then what PC says. Two of them backed out right away. The others say for warranty they have to install what PC says. I asked them and they agreeded to run the motor for a few minutes after installing to see if it gets hot. I'll keep you all updated..

Bob

richards
08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
It's probably too late for you to replace them yourself, but changing out the bearings isn't that hard if you have an impact wrench. (It has to easy, or I wouldn't be able to do it.)

The whole process took about 1/2-hour, if I remember correctly. The main advantage was that I could put in SHIELDED bearings instead of sealed bearings.

gus
08-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Bob or anyone else looking to replace bearings in your PC router. Read this link about the 6th and 5th entry from the bottom of the post. Go to your local auto parts store or bearing house and get the bearings and change them yourself. Save yourself a bunch of money / lost time with overheating bearings.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/3961.html

bob_reda
08-09-2006, 07:17 AM
I was going to do that, however when it went I think I did more than just the bearings. After it had suffieiecnt time to cool down(overnight) It would just start and run for a few seconds and quit. So I figured if it had a thermal protection, I must have burnt it up or did something else to it. I did read all the thread in regards to this. I even asked for the ZZ bearings, they had no idea what I was talking about.