PDA

View Full Version : Howto: minimize the resource leeches

khaos
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Hello Botters This is a re-post from my website http://www.joesboats.com/sb/FreeResources.htm

When I was at SB for training I promised Scott I would do this Tutorial/howto. So here it is. Shopbot feel free to take this and use it as you will. -Joe.

Q: How do I minimize the resource leeches on my system?

A: Kill unnecessary services in Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. (Not tested with Vista)

In this section, we’ll stop and disable the following unnecessary services :

Error Reporting Service

Help & Support

Print Spooler

Select Start > Administrative Tools > Services:

In the right pane of the Services window, locate and right-click on the Error Reporting Service service, then select Properties:

Under the General tab of the Error Reporting Service Properties dialog box, in the Service status section, click the Stop button:

For Startup type, select Disabled from the drop-down list, then click the OK button:

Repeat these steps to stop and disable the Help & Support service and the Print Spooler service.Disable visual enhancements
Select Start > Control Panel > Display:

Under the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialog box, click the Advanced button:

Under the Troubleshoot tab of the Default Monitor dialog box, move the Hardware acceleration slider all the way to the right, then click the OK button:

Under the Desktop tab of the Display Properties dialog box, select (None) from the Background list, then click the Apply button:

Under the Screen Saver tab of the Display Properties dialog box, select (None) from the Screen saver drop-down list, then click the OK button:

Select Start > Control Panel > System:

Under the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog box, under the Performance heading, click the Settings button:

Under the Visual Effects tab of the Performance Options dialog box, select the Adjust for best performance option, then click the OK button:

Disable system recovery featuresSelect Start > Control Panel > System:

Under the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog box, under the Startup and Recovery heading, click the Settings button:

In the Startup and Recovery dialog box, select (none) from the Write debugging information drop-down list, then click the OK button:

Disable Remote Desktop connectionsSelect Start > Control Panel > System:

Under the Remote tab of the System Properties dialog box, in the Remote Assistance section, deselect the Turn on Remote Assistance and allow invitations to be sent from this computer checkbox, and in the Remote Desktop section, deselect the Enable Remote Desktop on this computer checkbox, then click the OK button:

Disable searching for network drives and printersLaunch Windows Explorer, then select Tools > Folder Options:

Under the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box, in the Advanced settings list, deselect the Automatically search for network folders and printers checkbox, then click the Apply to All Folders button: (This will eliminate the machine from attempting to locate 'stuff' on its own and making the system stop responding for several seconds each time.)

In the Folder Views alert box, click the Yes button:

Click the OK button to accept the changes and close the Folder Options dialog box:

Defragment the machine C: driveSelect Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter:

Ensure that the C: drive is selected in the upper pane of the Disk Defragmenter window, then click the Defragment button. Repeat the defragmenting process until it happens quickly (this may take several cycles).

I hope this helps.

butch
07-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks
Butch

khaos
01-05-2015, 02:18 AM
I took the site down but cant edit the post to remove the link.

David Iannone
01-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the post.

Dave