PDA

View Full Version : Alpha stuttering

stargategfx
10-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Recently my Alpha has started to "stammer" while running the "cr" command at speeds anywhere from 4" per second and higher.
I have not noticed this problem while cutting parts files, but generally I cut those a slower feed rates.
I am running the latest control software via a newer P4, the machine is well grounded, data cables are not contacting power cables, etc.
When I first upgraded to the Alpha I can't recall ever seeing this problem, any suggestions?

paco
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
For what I know about it; the latest SB3 Alpha use even more of the PC's CPU and communications ressources regarding the improved ramping (all)... personaly I get this from 11.5"/sec. and more. Until 3.4.8 (or close to) we will have to make our tool PC's are optimized for it to run to it maximum capability...

Make sure you got ONLY (if possible) SB3 running when using the tool...

Is this a Pentium processor or else?

stargategfx
10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes Paco, it is a newer Pentium 4 with lots of memory and SB3 is the only program running at the time.
I did have this problem before the software update as well.
It surprizes me to have this problem with so simple (cr) a command.
I don't remember having this issue immediately following the upgrade from PRT to Alpha.

paco
10-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I have a Pentium type PC too; AMD that is... seem not as "powerful" (fast) as a "real" Pentium...

RAM is sure usefull to have as much as possible but it's not what's involved the most when the PRT Alpha ramp... look at the Task Manager Processes tab when the tool is running; you'll see what I mean.

Port devices and their settings can have their influence on this too; might worth to have alook at 'em... if you feel confident about it, you can see what's running in the background from the Task Manager and the MSconfig... I've personnaly shut alot lately to see some improvment mostly with my CAD/CAM softwares...

Before 3.4.8 (or around), I could CR (surface my spoilboard) at 12"/sec. without any problem...

Brady Watson
10-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Boyd,
Higher speeds means a higher data stream from the SB3 software to the motor drivers. If you have other programs running in the background, this data stream can get interrupted or limited since it needs to compete for processor time. Make sure that you have Windows Update turned off, and any other program out there that is snooping for a network connection OR hardware connection. This includes an ArtCAM Pro dongle. Even though it may not be running, it's looking for the dongle/connection every few seconds ..."Are ya there yet, Are ya there yet, Are ya there yet, Are ya there yet, Are ya there yet???" That's pretty much what it does!

It may take some investigating to find out what is doing this, but I can almost gaurantee that this is what's going on. The programs that caue these interrupts are not necessarily viewable from the Task Manager. They may or may not show up as a generic 'svchost.exe'.

In my experience, it really doesn't matter if you run an AMD or Pentium. Just have a machine that is 1GHz or better and 256M or better of RAM.

-Brady

dvanr
10-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi Boyd,

I just had a similar problem. Ran the cr command to surface the table, which worked fine. Then tried some different jog speeds after surfacing and the x and y would both stutter but never at the same place or time.

Two things I am going to test for:
-if the steppers are actually losing position.
-if it is heat related. (The air temp inside the box was over 40 degrees c. )

Cut files seem to run fine.

Running a 1.2g celeron using win98se, 310M ram. Standalone, no net, no antivirus, no firewall

stargategfx
10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
After levelling the table this a.m. (with stuttering) I had a piece to be cut from 3/4" sintra which also had a large area to be cleared to a depth of 1/2".
I put in a new 1/2" Onsrud bit and let 'er rip.
The job was cutting like butter so I cranked up the feed rate a little at a time and sure enough the stuttering came back at about 4.5 ips.
No other programs running in the background.
This computer is used mainly as a server for the 'Bot; all design and most toolpathing is done on another PC.
It is a Sony Viao, 2.8 ghz, P4 with 512 meg of ram, a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse, and is not connected to the web.
The only software on this computer besides XP is Corel 11, and the Shopbot software.
The only odd thing about this setup is that the control box is connected to the PC via a USB cable running through a serial adapter, all of which as I recall were supplied by Shopbot.
Thanks again for all the advice!

bleeth
10-04-2005, 07:27 AM
The intellipoint software for your microsoft mouse and keyboard has been known to cause problems in other program runs. Like most MS software it is overly heavy, ties into all kinds of areas it has no business in, and is subject to initiating problems. After I switched to logitech many niggling problems disappeared.

Dave

stargategfx
10-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Tried turning off all extraneous programs as well as the 'svchost.exe'as suggested by Brady.
The machine seems to jog better but is still stammering on cut files above 4"ps.
I will try replacing my wireless keyboard mouse combo, although the wireless keyboard has been great for setting z-points etc.

gerald_d
01-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Wonder if Boyd solved his problems? Sounds similar (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/10975.html) to Randall's issue.

stargategfx
01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Gerald,sorry not to have posted earlier, as we have been in the middle of moving our shop.
Yes the problem is solved.
Turns out it was started with our local Artcam rep installing a demo of Artcam Pro.
I didn't much care for the program, so I uninstalled it. It turns out that the uninstall does not remove the dongle software which just as
Brady suggested was the problem.
The Alpha runs like a champ now.
Thanks to all who helped!

Red (Unregistered Guest)
01-28-2006, 04:42 PM
I am having the same problem . Can the software be disabled or will it need to be uninstalled?I am running Artcam Insignia.

paco
01-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Red,

you should have problem if you doon't run Insignia and SB3 at the same time... that was my case at least... I have had Insingia installed on the same PC as SB3 for long without problem since I notice the above. I could duplicate the problem at the time; that's what make me so sure about it...

stargategfx
01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Red, I still had the problem after Artcam was removed.
The culprit was the DONGLE software, as I recall it was a Sentinel Super Pro product.
You need to go into your task manager and disable the file.
I'm sorry I don't remember what it was called but it was an abbreviation of the dongle manufacturers name and product.
Hope this helps.

Red (Unregistered Guest)
01-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks I will give it a Try....