PDA

View Full Version : Computer power

ken_r
02-17-2007, 05:42 AM
I have just recently setup a 120 x 60 prt alpha, when attempting to cut a file which has 27000 lines of constant movement on the X,Y,Z (per line)it starts to jump all over the place.
This was on a laptop with 1.8GHZ and 512 Ram, trying to run at 4ips, I switched over to my laptop which has 3.2GHZ and 512 ram and I could run it smoothly at 8ips (both are cutting foam).
Is the calculation to much for the smaller laptop?
or is something wrong with it?
Both jog smoothly at 12ips!!!
I have cheked all of the axis and when not in gear they run very smoothly on the rails.
Is it harder to keep the 60" bridge running smooth?
also I noticed that the "X" motors are running twice as hot as the "Y" & "X" motors, is this normal?
any ideas are appreciated

fleinbach
02-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I would say there is something wrong with it. I run my Shopbot with a 600MZ HP and 512K of ram and have never had a computer related problem. I jog at 30ips and have run cut files at 10ips. I have had some problems but none where ever traced back to the computer.

As for the motor heat differential I never realy noticed.

harryball
02-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Check your software and OS installation. Make sure NOTHING is running in the background. If it's on a network pull the network card out. I've seen my bot behave this way when running at 12 ips and it polls the network.

Robert

person
02-22-2007, 07:32 PM
A pentium M (centrino) 1.7ghz is equivalent to a 3.0ghz Pentium 4.
The problem is software and configuration. Can anyone give me an idea on a "recommended system requirements" ? I have tested the machine with a new desktop PC 3500Mhz, fresh XP Pro install and high speed USB 2 ports. First installing the ATEN usb > serial software and then Control software Version 3.4.27 as recommended for the PRTalpha. With, what seems to be the correct hardware and software combination, the PRTalpha still only responds to manual opperation, refusing to load and run the project file.

Ken, can you try a new PC on your shopbot and let us know if all ran smooth? If so, you can then use the freshly configured PC on the setup we are having problems with??