PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Control Won't Start

chodges
08-29-2008, 06:58 PM
I have a new (purchased in January) PRS Alpha with a 4-hp HSD spindle.

This has been happening off and on for the past few weeks ...

The cooling fan on the top of my spindle comes on when I turn on the power to the Control Box, but when I push the green Reset button on my variable speed control box nothing happens. My ShopBot 3 software complains that the "emergency stop switch on chanel 4 appears to be engaged," but I have checked (reset) both my Emergency Stop switches numerous time.

Looking inside the Control Box, I can see the "1,2,3" alternating lights, but I don't get that pronounced "clunk" that tells me that the variable speed control will light up when I push its Reset button.

I have blown out the Control Box to be sure there isn't any debris. I have also pushed the little black reset buttons on all the (8, I think) rectangular boxes at the top right inside the Control Box. All the wiring connections appear to be secure, and I can't find any tripped breakers in my electrical service panel.

Any ideas? I really want to work on some stuff this long weekend, but ShopBot is closed at this hour.

Thanks!

benchmark
08-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Charlie,

Try pressing or gently wiggle the E-stop connector block on the control board then press the reset button,

paul

jerry_stanek
08-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Have you tried a continuity tester on your E stop. Make sure your are set correctly as to open or closed switch

rnels
08-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Charlie,

Send ShopBot a Tech Support Request. They have someone monitoring that - even on weekends. Noticed on their main site they are closed Labor day but will have someone checking the email and requests. Here is a link: http://www.shopbottools.com/req_techsupport.htm

chodges
08-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry, but I don't know where the "E-stop connector" is or what it looks like. Nor did I know it had a reset button.

Could someone please point me to where this is?

Thanks!

scottbot
08-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Charlie,
You might find some answers
here. (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/26/33625.html?1220100189)
It sounds like you are having problems very similar to mine when I first got my PRSaplha going.

The estop connector is the little blue plastic thing that plugs into your control board. Make sure that it is firmly connected. The wires on the connector should be coming out of the plug horizontally towards the control box door instead of vertically. No offense. I was scratching my head when it came time to plug the estop into the board.

Scott

jerry_stanek
08-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Try pushing both your e stop buttons and see if the machine will start If it does the the setting is reversed as to open and closed.