PDA

View Full Version : Bit exit point

eklug
03-23-2007, 09:46 AM
How can I change the bit exit point on my toolpath? Right now it exits at the center of the arc in my carving and leaves a dimple. I use a raster method @ 270 degrees for carving out the pocket. Ive tried offset method which produces a very nice edge on the carve out but it has a difficult time hogging out all the material (we cut at 1" deep) and it leaves behind small areas of waste. I reduced the bit overlap and it helps clear out more material but really slows down the cutting.

paco
03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Which software do you use to create the toolpath?

Depending on the software you use, you may be able to move the start point...

Have you considered having the pocket configured with an allowance (say 0.03") and then profile (inside) as a finish pass? Does that make sense?

I don't see why offset would be more work load on the tool compare to raster...? As regard to the left over island, that can be usually fix... depending on the software you use.

eklug
03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I use partwizard. Yes i can change the start point and i probably will try that next. I would hate to have 2 toolpaths bc of the time involved. We usually run these parts in batches of 200-300 pcs.
I dont know why offset would be harder but it definitly is. The bit cuts side to side carving away bit by bit when in raster and it doesnt get hung up. but in offset it either starts in the middle of all that mdf or it cuts around the outside and it still has to go through all that mdf and it gets hung up (this is at 3ips). This may be due to cut depth but we cant make it shorter or with multiple toolpaths.