PDA

View Full Version : X y - axis moment

john_hartman
01-04-2009, 09:08 PM
How much, if any, movement should there be in the x,y-axis'? When my PRS 96/48 Alpha is "off" there is, maybe, a 1/16" or less of play. I can hear what sounds like metal ticks on each back and forth push/pull stroke. I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is teeth slop or the motor. I have all the motor mounting brackets/plates moved in for the tightest gear mesh possible. (I've checked twice)

I have only cut the sample "open sign" and there are some pretty jagged start and stops during the milling. At times, during the very small "pocket" moves the whole machine really shakes a lot. Is this normal?

pappybaynes
01-05-2009, 09:19 AM
John,
you should not be moving either axis regardless of whether the machine is powered up or not...this can cause an electrical feedback to the control box.

john_hartman
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Dick, thanks for your input on my other questions. Not that I'm constantly moving the axis' by hand with any frequency or more than a few inches, but I this seems to be a conflicting issue. I have read not to move the axis' with the motors connected, but then Frank at SB, while trouble shooting an issue asked me to do just that. I brought this up and was told that its not that big of a deal on an Alpha... but not to over do it.

What I'm trying to discribe isn't moving the motors at all. I think its the gears not meshing completetly or the motor gears...? Any thoughts, is this amount of movement normal?

dubliner
01-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Yes sounds like the pinions are loose on the shaft or the motors are not tight enough. They should be held pretty tight with hand pressure and tightened. The pinions should be locked down. As Brady says " Bend the Allen wrench" hope that helps.