PDA

View Full Version : Alpha with Colombo question

stargategfx
10-25-2004, 08:40 PM
I bought a new PRT96 in Feb. this year with a 5hp Colombo.
Seeing as though SB is "pulling the pin" earlier than expected with regard to the discounted upgrade pricing, I will be stepping up to the Alpha very soon.
My question is this, from what I've read on this forum it appears the control box for the Alpha also controls the on-off to whatever router or spindle is attatched.
If this is true, what do I do for the recommended 10 minute warm-up that is suggested for the Colombo?
Also...Has anybody thought about an "Alpha Only" section to these forums to deal with problems specific to this new model?

fleinbach
10-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Yes, the control box does turn the spindle on/off. As for what to do for the 10 minuite warm up, just have another cup of coffee. Oh, maybe you meant how do you keep the spindle from cutting immeadiatly, allowing time for the warm up period. Well even though the stopping of the spindle is totaly automatic when the file is finished the starting though controled by the software is not as automatic. When ever you start a cut file you first hit the start button in the software, after which you are prompted to start the spindle. That's when you would push the start button located on the control box. The spindle will start running at this time but the cut file won't start until you click "OK" or hit enter to start the file. If this is the first run of the day just wait 10 minuites for the spindle to warm up before clicking "OK" or hitting enter.

This sequence is actualy a built in saftey feature. While your attention is cocentrated on looking at the computer screen, loading the file, something may have changed on the table etc. But having to hit the start button on the control box then click "ok" gives you a second and third chance to look over things and make sure everyting is totaly ready to go. Not to mention time to allow warm up of the spindle motor.

elcruisr
10-26-2004, 06:37 AM
Boyd, you don't have to run the spindle power control through the new control box. It's just there if you want it. We left it the way it was on our spindle for now. At some point in the future Shopbot is going to start making software RPM control
available and then we might change it over.

For now we handle warmups and cool downs the same old way.
Eric