PDA

View Full Version : Pen plotter and vinyl cutter

johnny_s
05-11-2004, 02:47 PM
anyone have experience with any of these items? Any sources? For prt of course!

Brady Watson
05-11-2004, 03:01 PM
John,
Search the forum for 'plotter' and you will find the info you are looking for.

-Brady

gerald_d
05-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Also search (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi) for "vinylmate".

johnny_s
05-12-2004, 03:33 AM
thanks guys

Gerry N (Unregistered Guest)
12-09-2005, 11:09 PM
I am investigating the possible purchase of a shopbot tool, and I am interested in the general consensus as to how long your individual learning curve was in mastering the tool. Thank you for your input.

beacon14
12-10-2005, 12:58 AM
It took me about two weeks to get to where I was spending more time trying to get my parts designed properly than trying to figure out how to make the machine do what I wanted done. (That was before PartWizard, which made life so much easier.)

That was six years ago and I hope to become a master at it someday.

PS I was already proficient in another CAD software, so I wasn't dealing with the dual learning curve of learning how to draw parts at the same time as learning the machine. YMMV

marshawk
12-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi Gerry,

It is an ongoing process. Being proficient in CAD design is a plus, but not particularly necessary to get started.

There are some great tools out there that can make things relatively easy for you, but cost a bunch.

Truly the best tool for gaining proficiency and knowledge about design and the machine interface is this forum. There is a world of knowledge already contained in old posts AND you have the benefit of talking to and getting tips and help from a group of people who use thier machines to make a living.

You could not ask for a better group of folks to help you get started.

For me personally, it took a few days to get the general idea. I am still learning about design and application but manage to turn out some pretty nice stuff.

The only limit is imagination.

Cheers!

Chip

jhicks
12-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Jump in, The waters Fine. Certainly time and motivation are key but one can take it at any pace and learn something new every day. The question is how many days and how much time. The more the better and the forum is so helpful I can hardly believe it. My 24 yr old son and 21 yr old daughter joind me about 90 days ago and are already up to speed on many design, cut file, and implementation methods so if they can do it so can you. Of course You could buy a franchise for example and use their tech support person or two but here you have a global consulting group just waiting to help. Go for it and get ready to have some fun.