PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot Buddy and Partworks Problems. Please Help!

wuzzerdad
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I am new, and am having problems getting started, there are a couple of issues I hope you folks can help me resolve.

1. When I create a circle, rectangle, star or one of the other standard vectors, when I calculate the tool path to V carve the shape, I get an error message that it will cut through the material, usually by 2 or 3", but as much as 11", if I go ahead and say OK, It crestes a cutting path which takes about 4 hours to complete, and it looks like it would cut 11" deep if my machine would cut that deep. (6" max) anyway, i just want to v carve 1/2" deep some signs using these patterns and can not figure out how.

andyb
05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Rick,
In the toolpath screen the second line down says Flat Depth (F) in the the box type .5 that tells the tools to only go to a depth of 1/2". That should fix all the problems.

Andy B.

serge
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM

serge
05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I am having problems with a prs alpha 120/60/12
If I work clockwise and do the same thing counterclockwise the paths differ. If I try to make a circle it comes out oval
I checked squareness and also the gears and they seem perfect and tight. Please send me all your opinions from the easiest to the wildest since my mind cannot just figure anything else to do.

wuzzerdad
05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I had the depth set to .25, and I changed it to .5 and am still getting the same results.

wuzzerdad
05-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Another point, I am having no problems with text, it machines just fine, just when I try to use the shapes.

Brady Watson
05-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Rick,
You must define a flat depth for ANY vector shape that will allow the chosen Vbit to 'fall thru' the shape before the bit's angled sides hit a vector, effectively limiting the depth of cut. If you were to offset your circle to the inside, let's say .25", and select both vectors + v-carve machine them, then it would not go much deeper than .5" using a 90° bit. The whole idea of v-carving is to let the bit rise & fall between TWO vectors. While v-carving a single vector is allowed, the depth is only limited by the focus of the v-bit's point, like an inverted cone extending from the circle's rim to the point in the center. Try decreasing the diameter of your single closed vectors down to something like 1" in dia and try it again.

-B