PDA

View Full Version : Squareness/parallel - rails/table

ljdm
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
X rails parallel to each other, y rails square to x rails. x rsils not parallel to table, spoilboard cut to parallel with x rails. Can I live with it - in other words, will it cut okay since the board is parallel/square with x and y axis, and put off a lot of disassembly/re-assembly until more convenient? I can run the bit down x and y and it runs true to the edges. Helpful opinions only - I got it used and assembled, if I can put off re-doing most of the assembly till quiet time, it would make life a little easier.

beacon14
09-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes you can live with it - the table is just there to hold everything up. If the rails are parallel and square and you are happy with the way it is cutting you are good to go.

ljdm
09-10-2007, 10:19 PM
It just LOOKS strange - I can see that the rails (PR machine) aren't parallel, and the end stops therefore don't fall the same in relation to the end of the table frame. But bottom line is it's cutting okay for now.

fleinbach
09-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Lou,

So far I have set up 3 Shopbots from scratch. When I install the spoil board I get it close to where I want it but I am not too concerned if it is not perfectly parallel to the X and Y axis because I make it parallel using the shopbot.

Once you astablish where you want your 0,0 you can manualy cut the edge of your spoil board with the bot. Using a .50" bit zero the X,Y and Z. Now to parallel cut the X axis manualy offset the X axis -.25" Move the Y axis just enough to be off the edge of the board. Now if your spoilboard is .75" run the Z azis down -.50 up to -.75. Now run the bit down the X axis and you will have a perfectly parallel X axis. Repeat for the Y axis. Now you will have an acurate table parallel to both Axis's plus an acurate repeatable 0,0 for part alignment.