PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent reboot while running file

waynec
07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I have a PR running on SB control software ver 2.38, on a PC running Win 98SE. It has been running fine in this configuration.

Just recently the computer has started intermittently rebooting in the middle of running a file, each time at a different place. The computer goes all the way back to the power on screen- not just a softboot of Windows. In one case, it just locked up the SB software, and required a hardboot.

In chasing this problem I have installed a new breaker in the elec panel, installed a battery backup and connected both controller and computer to it. The computer and controller on one breaker, and the separate power supply are on another.

Can the controller cause the computer to reboot like this? Can a WIN98 software glitch or SB control software cause this?

I have been running for months successfully with this combination- Win98 and DOS SB software.

How do I troubleshoot this to determine if I have a intermittent computer hardware problem, or some sort of issue between controller and computer?

Thanks for the help!
Wayne from White Salmon

paul_n
07-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Wayne...
I had a problem much like yours, what I did was to turn everything off, except the computer, and run your file in the "Preview" mode. I found that my 'old' PC was at fault. I replaced it, and all is well once again....
Paul

waynec
07-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Brilliant! I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply!

W

waynec
07-21-2006, 10:51 AM
I think I have it fixed... but intermittent problems are, well, intermittent.

I think it was probably static from the dust collection system. I ran a long aircut two times with the DC off, and had no problems.

So I grounded my plastic ducting to the ground at the cable carrier, and ran the same file cutting parts with the DC on. No problems at all.

I'll run a couple more long files today and see if I can get it to screw up, but I think it was static.

Anyway, thanks Paul for the quick help. I was all ready to buy a new PC, which probably would not have fixed anything. I was able to pretty much eliminate the PC as the problem with your help.

Why don't shopbot controllers have optical isolation?

Wayne from White Salmon

jeff_rowley
07-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Wayne, could it be heat issues? As hot as it's been the last week or two, are things abnormally hot in your shop right now? Some PC power supplies monitor the temp and if it get's too high, shut the thing down. A combination of dust in the PC and abnormally high temps could be an issue.

waynec
07-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks Jeff, but probably not heat. The rest of the nation was on fire, but the Northwest was still cool when I started having problems. Temps when the problems began were just in the low 80s.

I put some grounding wire in the dust collection tubes, and ran a two hour file today. It was over 90 deg, and I had no problems at all. The router got quite warm, but the computer and power supply seemed well within tolerance. NO shutdowns, no glitches, no smoke.

At the risk of being overconfident, I think it was static, and I think I have it dealt with.

Thanks for the input.

W