PDA

View Full Version : PC Router suddenly making noise... bushings or bearings?

jeffreymcgrew
04-06-2007, 10:48 PM
So 3/4 through a long 3 hour complex 3D cut our PC Router started making a new (bad) noise. It seems to still cut ok, but there is a new, higher-pitched noise. When I turn the shaft by hand it feels as if it's rubbing something at certain points along the rotation, it's not as smooth as it once was.

I don't want to run it more until I know what's going on, and seeing that this is the first time our PC has had an issue I have no idea what the problem is. I'm not seeing any sparks when looking through the top vents into the router when it's running.

I'm guessing bearings. But I'd like to know. Or should I just get a spare router anyways, swap that in, and then totally rebuild the old one with new bushings and bearings to swap back in when the new one reaches the end of it's service... is that what y'all do?

jamesgilliam
04-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Jeff, Not sure what the noise is, but check the PC website for a service center near you. They usually have good prices on rebuilt routers. I bought both of mine from them, one when I got the machine, and the other when the first one gave out and was in for repair.

paco
04-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm guessing bearings. But I'd like to know. Or should I just get a spare router anyways, swap that in, and then totally rebuild the old one with new bushings and bearings to swap back in when the new one reaches the end of it's service... is that what y'all do?
That's what I would recommend and that's what I do; I first got the PC then wasn't happy, got the MK5625 so now I have the PC as backup. It did serve me well recently when I serviced the MK.
Still, I keep dreaming of the day I'll get a spindle...