PDA

View Full Version : 3D Modeling to Real Life Part - how close?

chrisd_adg
01-19-2005, 09:10 AM
We would like to produce wood parts from our designs either by purchasing cnc equipment or working with a cnc shop. We have designed parts using a 3D modeling program and can provide the files in several formats.

I downloaded the trial version of MillWizard, and it seems to have no problem reading .stl formatted files.

I have prepared four sample parts in the .stl format located here:

http://www.adg1.com/temp/shopbot/samples.htm

Is it possible for someone to look at these files and tell me if a ShopBot can make these parts?

If they can be fabricated with a shopbot, can the files be translated as they are, or is further file preparation necessary?

How many more steps to get to a real part if we worked with a shop?

Would a typical shop using a shopbot have any issues making parts like these?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris DeStevens

woody
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Chris,
I would not use millwizard to machine these parts, these parts can be cut much faster with a 2D Program to cut to shape, then use a shaper, router to put the profile on them. The 4th part would be best run through a molder. That’s if you want to make money!

ron brown
01-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Chris,

I'll say I would re-engineer some of the project where you could cut them. That square mortise on the first part is more hollow chisel work than CNC work and it would take another clamp operation just to do that. The fourth part looks like it would be quicker to mold, as Scott, suggests then go into secondary operations. It might make sense to do the secondary operations on a CNC machine. But small parts and having to handle them usually ends up being a time problem with whatever process taking less time than the actual operation and clamping.

Of course all things change if you are just going to do half a dozen or so and the tooling cost plays a larger part.

Ron