PDA

View Full Version : Software help

paul
02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
I have been looking at a software called scan2cad
where you scan a drawing and turn it into a vector image.
Have anyone used this software?
Would this eliminate the need to use a cad design software?
I am just thinking of the steep learning curve of most cad softwares.
If not what cad software would be recommended, one that i can download a full working demo with a comprehensive tutoral.
I realy dont want to invest in a shopbot unless i feel confident that i can programme one
thanks

zeykr
02-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Scan2cad or other bitmap to vector packages will not eliminate the need for a cad/cam package. None of these bitmap to vector softwares are perfect (often not even very good for many applications). I've tried quite a few and like Acme Traceart (http://www.freefirestudio.com/)better than the others I've tried, and they are a useful tool to have sometimes.

You still need a cad/cam system or at least a cam system with drawing capability. Go download the demo version of parts wizard from the shotbot site and play with it. It provides the basic drawing and machining capabilites that would be enough to get you started in 2d cutting and it comes with your purchase of a shopbot. I think the demo is of version 1.x and version 2.0 is much improved, but should give you an idea of what it can do. Not sure if a 2.0 demo is available or not.

ron brown
02-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Paul,

There is a learning curve to CAD software, CAM software and the ShopBot itself. One familiar with ShopBot in general could have a tool setup and running in a few days. If one was familiar with CAD and familiar with computers, I'd say it would be a minimum of a week before they were cutting and destroying blanks.

If I were setting up a machine and knew what the hurdles were, I would have invested in training for myself. It would have been the least expensive thing that I could have done.

If I were recommending, I would say learn some CAD first. Have someone write your first production files and teach you how to execute those files. You will then be running and making money with the machine. From there you can persue learning more CAD and CAM skills and decide if you want to write your own files or pay someone with the skills and software to write them for you.

Follow up and go to whatever seminars and ShopBot "camps" you can. CNC is a learned and involved skill. There is a lot of satisification in dreaming up a design and executing it in a solid form.

Ron