PDA

View Full Version : BobCad Converter

khaos
02-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I created a very rapid site to try and address the BobCad issues. I need help from the community as I am an extreme noob to shopbottin. However, I do know my way around the ol PC. I used the BobCad from one of the previous threads in this area but you can paste new text in there or hand type some code to test specific items.

Please run a bobcad file through and lets see if we can make a converter.

I do not have bobcad so I rely on those of you who do.

just paste your contents into the top windows click convert and viola. You'll discover something I didn't know about. :p

I created this thread in an attempt to capture the needs of the BobCad folks using shopbots.

So please let me know about items that are wrong or need attention. If I get this working I will create an offline application that can be used in the shop.

Joe.
www.joesboats.com (http://www.joesboats.com)

Brady Watson
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
If you have a generic G-code post that you can output from BC then there is no reason to convert to SBP. The latest version of the control software will run G-Code directly.

Out of curiosity, why are people using BobCAD with the ShopBot? It doesn't offer anything over what the FREE software you get with the purchase of your tool...and I feel, that it is both counterintuitive & a stumbling block for guys that are just getting started in CNC & using a ShopBot. ShopBot staff worked pretty hard to make owning & using a Bot as easy as possible, while giving you plenty of power in your toolpathing. Using BobCAD in my opinion is going backwards...(having purchased v18) This of course is not to take the wind out of anyone's sails, if they in fact enjoy working in BobCAD and writing work arounds just to get it to work...

-B

khaos
02-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I dont know. Maybe they are not the first owners of the bots. The license does not transfer... Although 750 is less than 1200 ...

I just needed to feel useful today.

Joe.

bill
02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Joe,
Will try it soon... will get back to you.... and Thanks! :-)

Brady,
For those of us that had been using BoobCad (V19, V20, V21 and V22) in the past, are used to it, and at the moment, don't have the $$$ to lay out for new software. The software that came with my ShopBot is VERY good software. The problem is the transition from BoobCad to the new software to include current operating cut/design files. I honestly believe in due time the words "BoobCad" will fade from the ShopBot forum only due to the lack of BoodCad Tech support. I will feel much better once I too am free of the BoobCad curse.

tree
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I can use some of the other software but I can control the tool paths alot more with Bobcad. I also need to be able to create and edit solids. I know this is like stepping into a bear trap but I need a high end 3D solid modeling program... I maybe should have gone to Rhino... Hind sight is 20-20

Brian

carve_1
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
As a new comer to cnc, I'll throw in my two cents,,I bought a Shopbot for it's user-friendly nature. Pre-purchase research told me I would need a " favorite 3d cad program" to manipulate files per my application. I knew nothing about cad,,, I bought Bodcad 21,,with no maintanance fees,Bodart pro,Bobnest and thier 10 cd Learning prfessor series for 8 bills, and the cd's tell me everything I need to know to draw anything.
User-friendly is the name of the game,,, when Shopbot offers the learning cd series like Bobcad did,, they will put a hurt'n on a lot of high nosed technology peddlers.