PDA

View Full Version : 3d cutting process??

dubliner
08-15-2008, 07:45 PM
I cut a D "Tree of LIfe" out of 5/4 Mahogany & used the cut out routine in Cut3D, as I used a 1/4 end mill it was done in a number of passes, the first 2 of which just were air cuts. I was unsure of modifying the pass depth as I didnt want the "real" first cut to be too deep, but I thought the SW would allow for the designed depth and start cutting there & if I zero'd on the 3D depth I would have cut into the table. Is that the nature of it or can it be set to start cutting at the part height instead of the original material height? TIA Neville

knight_toolworks
08-15-2008, 08:10 PM
cut3d does not really have such settings. you can import the file into vcarve and then you can do it. just click on the 3d vector and choose fit vectors to bitmap to make a very good outline.

dubliner
08-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Steve, I did it in VCP actually ( the tabs looked odd in C3D ) its not the outline I'm trying to address, its the starting cut out depth. Neville

knight_toolworks
08-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I should have said don't use c3d for the cutout. follow my method to make an outline of the 3d file and use vcarve to make a toolpath on the outside of it. then you can control start depth and the tabs.
this also works well to pocket around the 3d file.

dubliner
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
OK that makes sense , but do I measure what the 3d (finish)pass has left & then set the depth or just use the z height that was selected in C3D. I would have thought the cutout in C3D would would account for the cuts/depth it made in the 3D file?? or should I just not worry about 2 aircut passes before actual cutting.I guess I'm asking why C3D doesn't do that for you.

tony_mac
08-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Neville,

The Cut Out Pass in Cut3D / PW3D should take care of this.

Did you manage to email the Cut3D file to the vectric support address?

If the file is too large calculate the rough and finishing toolpaths using large stepovers (as they are not required and this will reduce the file size), then calculate the Cut Out Pass and Save the complete file. It should then be small enough (when zipped) to email.

Tony

knight_toolworks
08-16-2008, 01:10 PM
you would figure out the depth you want the cut to start at. when you make the path you use that as the start depth. say your cutting a total of 1.25" then as the finish depth say if you start at .5 the finish would be .75.
then the cut will start at .5 and lots less wasted time. but with the wood your cutting if you stuck to 1 ips you can do it in two passes anyway.

dubliner
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Tony - yes I sent it. I'm sure I have a setting wrong. Hope to see you guys in October - I have a case of Heffeweizen with your name on it :;-)
Steve - Now I get your method so I will do that in the interim, thanks guys - Neville

dubliner
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Knew I was doing something wrong! I forgot to add a margin in C3D finish path - Thanks Vectric & thanks guys. Nev