PDA

View Full Version : Pepple Backround Texture

David Iannone
12-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I had a customer ask me today for a backround texture of a pepple backround, like the look you get on a flat bottom sandblast of signfoam. I am still new to the texture module of v-carve. If anyone has created something close....could I see the variables?
Thanks,
Dave

den73160
12-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I would like to see that info myself

paco
12-21-2006, 03:40 PM
From the info you provide, my guess is that you'd be better off with 3D modeling rather than VCP texturing.

Maybe VETRIC staff could prove me wrong...!

Last time I machined such pebble look-a-like texture (3D model in this case) it took forever because of all the 3D ramping (that was HDU with optimized VR settings)... but it was a success!

David Iannone
12-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Paco,
Do you by chance have a picture of the pebble look-a-like texure. Or even the rendering from the 3-D model software? I hear Vetric is improving upon the texturing module in the future. I am very anxious about the new features. Did you use Artcam Pro for the pebble texture?
Thanks,
Dave

paco
12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
This what I used from the above post...

...made from a texture image in 3D CAD. The image is a view point of about 3 to 4 inches away.

Quite a bunch of 3D CAD can make 3D model from images.

David Iannone
12-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Very nice, exacly what i am looking for. I am not familiar at all with creating 3-D from scratch though. I still have a lot to learn with the whole 3-D thing, but, at least I can carve it when I design it. Could you recomend a good 3-D modeling software. I am very computer literate. I just don't want to devote a ton of time in learning yet another software program.

Another question: Is there any way I could have a sample file of that texture to cut on my bot, maybe even 6"x6". Then maybe I could use the digital probe to trace it. Drop it into Vectric Cut-D ? Would that work?

paco
12-30-2006, 12:33 AM
There's nothing easy as to getting into 3D modeling whatever the software... Some are better organized than other though and there more than one way to model in 3D; for example, ArtCAM PRO vs SILO vs RHINO are three different modeling strategies.

I know RHINO does this sort of "relief over image" and that SILO 2 (under BETA right now) does this too... I'm currently having a look at Blender which I believe may do it too and ArtCAM PRO sure does it in a friendly matter but a which price!?

My advice would be to have someone else making it for you under whatever this person work with and you could, from there, toolpath it under whatever CAM you use. Unless you really want to get into 3D modeling... it's not rock science but it does take some time to get productive.

I'll see if I can provide a sample model of the above texture...

cnc_fabricator11
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Revisiting an old topic, but I'm trying to accomplish this texture as well. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to do this in Rhino? and tell me a little bit more about the process of modeling it from an image?

Any help or direction would be most appreciated. Thanks

geometree
05-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I have been messing with Rhino beta for Mac recently. And toying with the heightfield from image function under the surfaces menu. Basically you just find and appropriate image and import it using the heightfield from image command and you will get a 3d model where the height is scaled to the light/darkness of the picture.

I just googled "relief texture" and found this site which has some great photos to use for this. http://mayang.com/textures/index.htm