PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to v-carve need a little help!

thomas_bass
04-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello, like i said I am new to v-carve pro. I am trying to start with the basics of building part files. I am pretty good with designing the files but I get a little confused with some things on the tool listing page. What is the proper definition for Clearence Pass Stepover, feed rate, and plunge rate?? A little help would be great!
Comments!

knight_toolworks
04-20-2009, 12:49 PM
don't worry about clearance pass stepover.
feed rate is the speed you cut. there are a lot of factors that go into figuring this out. depends on the bit the material the rpms what the machine can do how good your hold down is. lots of reading is needed to work this out. but with vcarving 2 to 3ips is usually fine.
plunge rate for woods and soft plastics can be 3 to 6 ips depending on what your doing. but 1ips is fine too. if I am doing light vcarving I will plunge fast deeper cuts I slow it down.

thomas_bass
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks alot! I have a 5hp. router variable speed, but the hold down is not very good. I'm trying to cut simple 2-D carvings on softwood pine and i'm using a .125" v-bit. The last thing that I would probably need to know is should I worry about the final pass stepover?

knight_toolworks
04-20-2009, 01:14 PM
the final step passover is fine as it is. the only time I never changed it was when I was doing vcarving for epoxy inlay I made the stepover far larger so it would cut faster. this left a jagged flat bottom. but since it was filled with epoxy it was not an issue. it only comes into play anyway if your not cutting the full vcarve set depth.

thomas_bass
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks alot! Have a nice day steve!

knight_toolworks
04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
no problem. you really want to get a larger vbit that one will really limit the depth pass and slow down cutting. 1/2" is about the minimum for practicality. http://www.centuriontools.com/ for good bits at a good price