PDA

View Full Version : How to use a Rhino Model ?

jim_stadtlander
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Hello,
I am wondering how to convert a model created in Rhino to Artcam for toolpathing? Is this possible? What would I need to be able to cut it out on the Shopbot?

I downloaded Rhino's free demo version and really like its full sculptural abilities, unlike Artcam's. But I have had no luck with being able to use the model beyond Rhino's program. Is there anywhere to find out how to do this?

Thank you, Jim

jim_stadtlander
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I guess I should mention that I know that Artcam can't handle a model in 3D like Rhino can, so it probably(?) makes it impossible to bring it from Rhino to Artcam?

However, what about getting it into Vectric's Carve 3D ??? They give you a race-car model in their demo version. How would you proceed to get a model like that from Rhino to Vectric?

thanks

myxpykalix
09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
what are the file type "save as" options in rhino? You can import a 3ds, dxf, or stl in millwizard.

jim_stadtlander
09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi Jack,

Does millwizard have 4th axis ability? I think this is one of the problems that I am having with trying to get it into Artcam. Artcam wont let you see all the sides, it has to be fused to a background.

It seems as if there would be a past post on the process of doing this type of transfer, but haven't found any yet. It could be that the demo version is giving me a hang-up somewhere. Don't know, that's why I'm asking.....

P.S. Love the work you've been doing with the indexer. Keep it up. I hope to get back to the indexer work soon, doing some stuff that is not so "turned".

myxpykalix
09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Millwizard does not have 4th axis ability however you can carve something 4 sided which basically gets you to the same result.

Thanks for complements on the indexer work. It's that encouragement that makes me want to experiment and try new designs and such. I am trying to remember to photograph and document my various designs and such to eventually post to the wiki.

jim_stadtlander
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Got it to work now, thanks to Jack and his help. On to learning more stuff.........

Jim