PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Corel?

ckurak
04-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I am a little confused. All right, a lot. There are so many versions of Corel out there. Version 10, 11, 12, X3, X4 (what happened to X1 and X2?). Corel Draw, Corel Painter, Corel PainShop. New versions at list price. Older versions on eBay. Upgrade paths?

I am looking for a package to serve two main purposes: 1) Design vector graphics that I can use with either PartWizard or PartWorks, and 2) Design raster graphics and images (e.g., logos, ads) that I can use on my website.

Would someone please spend a few minutes and explain some of the differences? The info on corel.com is overwhelming and also filled with lots of marketing "information." Or, maybe even easier (to write and to understand), make a recommendation of which version to buy?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

pete
04-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Charles

Version X3=13 and version X4=14 (where the X equals 10, of course).

I think V12 is a good place to start and should be resonable to purchase and it has good features.

When you are comfortable with using that version you can upgrade as budget allows. Or, if you have the money now, the later versions; X3 and X4 have a few more features. I started using V9 and have upgraded over the years to X4.

Just my opinion - others may chime in.

Pete

sawdust535
04-20-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm currently using version X3 (13) but I started years ago with version 3.0. Even 3.0 is more than capable of doing whatever you need to do on Partworks. If you can find any of the older versions on sale, that would be more than adequate.

cnc_works
04-20-2008, 04:21 PM
There is one advantage to using a later if not the latest version. The trace function has gotten better and better through the versions and, if I remember correctly, has added centerline tracing with X4.

Donn

robtown
04-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Various versions have various issues with .ai export, and ALL versions have issues with .dxf files, both import and export. Get x3 (or x4) if at all possible.

ckurak
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I found a v12 version on eBay for $39.99. That should get me started. Then, upgrades from there should be pretty reasonable.

Thanks!!!!

Charles

rtfosmoe
03-28-2014, 04:01 PM
I took a junior college course in welding and I'm allowed to purchase software for extremely cheaper than normal population. I purchased the latest Corel draw for $89.00. All you need is an email account which end in .edu.

Rich

hh_woodworking
03-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Richard,
You can purchase software at a very reduced rate while in school. These are educational versions. If you read the agreement that is given on those licenses, you are not to use the software to produce products for sale. They are selling you the software to learn it, with the hope that you will purchase a full license later or work for a company that is already using it .

Mayo
03-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm also looking for a previous version of Corel at a reduced price and what I discovered is, in reading the customer ratings or comments on Amazon, the Home and Student version and the Educational version are limited in various ways compared to the full version. Do not believe the comments on Ebay that state they are the same exact programs - they are not.

Some of the limitations pertain to printing and print previewing, the ability to customize the workspace, the inability to use VB scripts (which is what I want to do with the Unrollit script for making channel letter sides).

The other issue customers comment on is the inability to upgrade to the latest version if your existing version is X2 or X3 or earlier. Some people reported when trying to install the X6 upgrade package that it asks for version X4 or X5 serial numbers or codes. If you have an earlier version, evidently Corel tech support says too bad - you're out of luck.

So I'm still looking...

danhamm
03-30-2014, 11:34 PM
The only thing I have seen different is the "Notice" not for "Commercial Use" on the student version.

SomeSailor
03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
The other issue customers comment on is the inability to upgrade to the latest version if your existing version is X2 or X3 or earlier. Some people reported when trying to install the X6 upgrade package that it asks for version X4 or X5 serial numbers or codes. If you have an earlier version, evidently Corel tech support says too bad - you're out of luck.

I have upgraded from as early as the first version of Corel. I've never had any issues. I run X6 now and just got an email last night that X7 is available. Good program all around.

joe
05-04-2014, 01:18 PM
Woops, I'm a little confused about upgrades.

A couple of months ago I tried to upgrade my version which is X3 to find out there is a limit to upgrades and I'd need to purchase a new package for about $500.

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was to use their Legature Type 1 font upgrade. So I checked out their trial version it does such a poor job I had to pass. To my knowledge, only Illustrator can import the universal Type 1 letter styles. I have several fonts that are almost useless without this feature.

To see what I'm talking about look for the letter style "Desire". It comes from www.letterheadfonts.com (http://www.letterheadfonts.com)

joe
05-04-2014, 01:26 PM
O by the way if you don't know much about Glyphs and Legatures and how attractive they are, check out the letter style "Desire" in www.letterheadfonts.com (http://www.letterheadfonts.com). Scroll down on this fonts optional glyphs and styles to see what can be done. Stunning stuff.

jpaszkiewicz
09-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Joe, You can still use the new font types you just need to install the expanded library sets. With "desire" you will need to install the 12 alt fonts set and you then can use all the font styles. I little more cumbersome but it works for older vers of Corel. I agree Letterhead fonts are very cool to use and set your work apart from everyone else, especially if you are in the sign business.

joe
02-08-2015, 04:24 AM
It seems to me the student version works like the full fledged program but can not be upgraded in the future.

Joe

danhamm
04-12-2015, 02:16 PM
Upgrades are only available to registered purchases, the products from ebay and elsewhere are not upgradeable. you have to buy original from Corel or there distribution chain to have a registered copy.