PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to keep from locking up during file runs

daniel
01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Is there a way to keep shopbot control software from locking up your computer while it runs?

Thanks for any advice.
Daniel

fleinbach
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
What size is your computer?

Is it dedicated to the shopbot?

Have you turned off all screen and power savers?

paco
01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
I seriously wish there we're a way!?

Yesterday and today, I lost about 5-10% of my machine time recovering from crash (SB3 that is) and lost position (both working coordinates and TBC). Not to mention that it's a tad annoying...

I'm perfectly aware of this for about since Alpha are being and my control PC is both optimized and dedicate... and free from any other connection than the control box.

While I cant wait for drive resolution to be enhance, I mostly dream of the week (day) where I would be free from the frustrating experience of being disconnected... and reset!

danhamm
01-22-2007, 05:05 PM
"I Think"...he means while using the SB software he is unable to do anything else with the computer..

bleeth
01-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Daniel: You don't really want to do that anyway. You would run the risk of the "other" program taxing your memory and screwing up your file. If you are still running your original PRT then the best solution is to have a stripped down computer for that purpose only and use your design computer for design. You should be able to pick up a computer that will run a PRT control box for a very few $, or put the word out to friends who upgrade to a new computer that you want to "raid" their old one.
Dave

rhfurniture
01-23-2007, 02:13 AM
I wonder how a dual (or quad) processor computer would handle this issue? Personally I am quite happy with 2 networked boxes, but I used to have a dual celaron (abit bp6) that I used to drive shopbot for a while and I did wonder...

R.

Towersonline
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
We recently completed a rather lengthy project requiring the machine to run 8 to 10 hour days. In an average day the machine would hang 3 times. The loss of production and material was quite frustrating. We have been dogged by the hang-up problems for over a year but, up until now it was only a minor inconvenience. We added additional grounding, stripped all essential software from the computer. Upgraded and down graded to control box software. Next we disconnected the wireless network, re-powered the computer and control box from a different circuit, all to no avail. In total frustration I grabbed my old HP laptop running Windows XP and installed the current version of the control software that had been running on the old computer. IT WORKS!! I now can run my network, design software, turn on and off the vac or any machine in the shop without fear of a hang-up. No matter what I do to it, it just keeps cutting!!

paco
01-23-2007, 12:54 PM
The issue still remain a mystery for the most part...

daniel
01-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Dan Hammerstron is correct. I understand why a person should have a computer dedicated only to running the machine, and I will have one by next week. However, I just had to computers go down at the sametime, so I purchased a new one this week. It has a high speed dual core processor and alot of RAM. So, for now, I'm curious if it will run the machine while doing other things at the same time. Is there a way to keep SB3 from locking up my keyboard?

Thanks, Daniel

bcammack
01-25-2007, 07:44 AM
I think that, because the keyboard is a critical safety component of the Man-Machine Interface, it takes full control of it and will not surrender it to another program.

From experience in other software/hardware, I know that we all think that we can readily flip to the control software if we see that there is an "OH NO!" moment just milliseconds away, but in reality it is nearly impossible to hit the correct keystrokes to toggle into the software to perform an E-stop with the spacebar that quickly.