PDA

View Full Version : Creating a solid in Rhino

luke
03-26-2006, 02:07 AM
I am trying to make this object a solid in Rhino so I can import it into MillWizard. So far, after many hours of struggle, I have only managed to learn to loft some of this object (Wrong direction). I have also used NetworkSrf and received the error, "Unable to create surface. NetworkSrf requires three or more curves in each direction." I have overlooked something significant in the tutorials. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rgustav
03-26-2006, 03:29 AM
I cannot make out what you're trying to do in that image, it's too small. Feel free to PM me with your rhino file with an explaination of the intended object and I can give it a crack. --Ryan

luke
03-26-2006, 10:00 AM
PM Sent.

Brady Watson
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Just do a 1 or 2 rail sweep...much easier for most shapes than lofting.

-Brady

btk
03-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Luke,

To outline where the solid is still "open"
(1) Select all of the surfaces you are attempting to join.
(2) Type "ShowEdges" (on the command prompt).
(3) Choose "Naked Edges" from the list.

The Naked Edges signify edges of surfaces that are open.
You can "Join" or "Blend" these open surfaces (use the Surface menu) until the solid is closed.

-Brian

rgustav
03-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi Luke,

Here's what I did with the file you sent. I used both Brady and BTKs suggestions.

1) Simplified to just the rail, a single cross-section vector, and a profile vector on each end. I add two vertical revolution axis vectors on the ends (for visual reference), using Curve->Line->Single Line, and then using Tools->Object Snap->End to connect to the top and bottom of your cross-section vectors.

2) Revolve each of the two ends. I used the Survface->Revolve command, first selecting the cross-section curve, and then using Snap I selected the two ends of revolution vector. The start angle is -90, and the end angle is 90.

In this picture, I've highlighted the input vectors on the right end, and the final surface on the left end.

3) Create the body of your flute using a rail sweep. Using the Surface->Sweep 1 Rail command, select the long rail vector, then select the cross-section curve.

4) Join together the body and the two end pieces. Do this by selecting the 3 surfaces, and using the Join command (type in "Join", not sure where it is on the menus). This creates a single closed polysurface, which is as "solid" as it gets in Rhino.

In this picture, I've turned on shading to make visualization of the solid easier.

Not sure if that's the shape you are looking for or not.

Good luck!

Ryan

luke
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Wow. Thank you all for the Help. The Naked Edges command works. Ryan thank you for the Rhino file PM and the incredible detail in your response post. I wish the Rhino Tutorials were as straight forword as the help you provided. The shape is very close to what I was going for. I think I understand, using BTK join assistance, how to make the case ends more square. I hope to post a final image soon.