PDA

View Full Version : Aspire 2.5 is slow

richard_saylor
03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Anyone else having problems with Aspire being incredibly slow. I'm running it on a computer that has no problems with AutoCad 3D renderings and DesignCad 3D renderings.
The 3D pane in Aspire can take as long as a minute to regenerate the simplist of drawings.

jamesb
03-04-2010, 09:51 AM
A good starting point for rendering issues is to download the latest drivers for your graphics card to see if that helps.

richard_saylor
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
And I repeat, AutoCad which is a much more robust and obviously better written program regenerates renderings that are one hundred times larger than the tiny drawings that I'm trying to view in Aspire.
This isn't a driver or video card problem.

Gary Campbell
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
What James may have omitted is that the newest version of Aspire may take advantage of some of the newer extensions of OpenGL or DirectX. Without the latest drivers for your video card, renderings may take significantly longer.

IT is true that AutoCad may be more robust, but it is not to say that is uses the latest extensions. IF your cards drivers are not as new, or newer than the ones used in the App, then your processor will be forced to make millions of calculations that could be done by the GPU on the Vid Card. This would make the rendering appear to be a processor/software problem.

In this case, 2 rights, may still make a wrong. Upgrade the drivers, you may be surprised.
Gary

jamesb
03-04-2010, 01:26 PM
My suggestion was nothing to do with Aspire directly. It was just as I said a good starting point. In the past in whatever program I have issues with on the display, downloading the latest drivers has often taken care of it. Its not the programs that work you need to worry about and perhaps newer drivers might help. If they don't at least you have eliminated one possible cause. Next step from there would probably be to contact Vectric support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) to see if they have a suggestion for you.

richard_saylor
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry for the initial attitude. You guys were totally correct and the new drivers did solve the problem.
I've always thought of AutoCad as the poster child for inefficiency and have overbought hardware and software to deal with it's insatiable hunger. When Aspire started poking along like AutoCad 3 for DOS without a mathcoprocessor, I figured I had just just thrown myself twenty years into the past.
Thanks for your patience! Less barking and more wagging for this old dog.

Gary Campbell
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Richard...
Glad to see you are working now.
Gary

gc3
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7977

cabnet636
03-05-2010, 07:25 AM
aspire is a wonderful thing!!

jim