PDA

View Full Version : 3D CAD/CAM

falkor
05-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Hi

I'm not familiar with CAD/CAM yet.
I am a sculptor creating coin and medal models for the coin industry.

After I get the final design I start to work on a plaster model. Everything is done by hands including accurate objects such as text, national stamps, etc.

I wish to know how can I get more efficiently by using a cnc machine for some parts.
The things I sculptor are realy impressive and they CANNOT be created by a computer instead. But is there a way to improve other things?

Because there it is not possible for me to play with the design I must sculpt exactly according to the original source. Therefore, I even can't use a text font library because then it will look different.

What are the best softwares on the market for doing that?
Any ideas what mints are using?

designhawk
05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
i m using ARTCAM,,,not bad... here some medal n coin i had creat b4 with ARTCAM

zeykr
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
You might also take a look at vs3d. http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/

I've not used it much, but think it was written by a coin sculptor.

billp
05-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Midor,
I believe that both the Canadian, and US Mints are currently using Artcam Pro. I have taken Artcam training classes with representatives from both mints in attendance. If I am not mistaken they are using the Renishaw digitizer to scale down handcarved pieces, and then they "tweak" the die in the Artcam software...
I know that James Booth of Carve 3D has done training for both mints. You can reach him at- jab@carve3d.com (mailto:jab@carve3d.com)

falkor
05-27-2006, 03:55 AM
Bill, thanks for the info.
But why would they want to "tweak" the die in the Artcam software after a handcarved piece has already been made?
After all, they get the best 3D results of a design by an artist's touch and by a CNC machine.

falkor
05-27-2006, 03:57 AM
A correction:

After all, they get the best 3D results of a design by an artist's touch and NOT by a cnc machine.

gerald_d
05-27-2006, 07:10 AM
Midor, I think that the dies have to be "mass-produced" because they wear out in countries that make a lot of money.

billp
05-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Midor,
I'm guessing that the "tweaking" is done to compensate for the areas where a digitizing probe cannot duplicate the original hand carved piece. James can probably answer this question much better than I can...

billp
05-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Midor,
I just got this note from James who is having some problems logging onto the Forum today,so he asked me to pass it along to you...

"Bill is right I have worked with the Mints in the US and Canada. I have a non-disclosure agreement with them both though so cannot get into much detail. I do know that the following is public knowledge though. Mints like most of us use software and a CNC in applicable parts of their process. Sometimes it is used to clean up scanned hand carved parts or to add dates and other text. Sometimes the entire 3D project is drawn sculpted and machined in the software. FInished parts may also be hand finished. Do not make the mistake of thinking that a skilled artist cannot use software and a CNC as effectively as they can use hand tools - they can. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Cheers,
James "