PDA

View Full Version : ArtCam Exports

khaos
04-03-2008, 04:45 PM
This post moved from Show and tell... http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/17997/29412.html?1207237872

Brady, No doubt about that. I was trying to get an insight to ArtCam. From my perspective I believe that its worth the $500 to take the class just to see if there is a real benefit for me. Plus, I just love the face tool!! I would love to be able to get a DXF out of artcam in order to bring a modeled item into 3ds max or partworks etc.

As a "software guy" I am always trying to garner the capabilities of software tools in order to better choose the right tool for the job.
Realizing that even though you can drive a nail with a screwdriver, there might be a better, quicker and safer way. :D

Joe.

Brady Watson
04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Joe,
There is no doubt that ArtCAM Pro is probably the best software on the planet for a ShopBot. It is well worth the price of entry and it will make you more money, since you'll be able to do just about anything your tool can cut, provided that you are driven to learn how to use it. It is a deceptively powerful program, with more capability than most will ever use or exploit.

You can get an STL out of ArtCAM that can be brought right into Max. If you prefer a DXF, then a $20 program (Accutrans) will convert that STL to DXF.

-B

khaos
04-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Thats a great insight. As I am still horribly junior in the SB world.
How much of the process "happens" in ArtCam?

Is the STL or other file saved and brought into partworks to generate the cut files? Or are they, as I suspect, generated by ArtCam?

Is the bot able to be controlled by ArtCam?

It seems like I would be able to bypass partworks entirely..

My humble thanks in advance,
Joe

Brady Watson
04-04-2008, 10:51 AM
ArtCAM is a CAD/CAM mothership...You can do everything related to design and toolpathing in ArtCAM. You can create 3D from scratch, spit it out in a format that Max can use, work with the file in Max (if you really need to) and bring it back in again to sculpt, smooth and toolpath. The resulting toolpath then gets saved as a ShopBot part file (SBP) and SB3 control software runs it & your CNC. ArtCAM can run in DNC/drip feed mode, but that is really for older CNCs...So, no - You cannot control the SB with ArtCAM.

-B