PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Path Depth

wardsa
11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm trying to cut melamine. I'm using a compression bit, so I want to cut the first pass at .625 and then finish at .75 . The toolpath will cut first pass at .375 then finish. I have edited the bit to show pass depth at .625, but it always cuts half way through on first pass. How can I get around this? Thanks, Terry

knight_toolworks
11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
first why not cut it in one pass? if it is a 1/4" or larger cutter it will not be an issue.
vcarve will divide the cut depth but the tool's allowable depth of cut. so you don't really get a choice of depth if it is a multipass cut. the bit will nut cut deeper then set though.
so if you want to cut .625 then you need two toolpaths to get it.

tony_mac
11-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi Terry,

After editing the Pass Depth = 0.625" are you then recalculating the toolpath?

Tony

knight_toolworks
11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
vcarve divides the depth and splits it for the passes. so unless you make a path just for that depth it will divide .75 by two and both passes would be about .375. though it may be different. it won't exceed the tools depth limit.
I just checked and the first pass with the above settings would be .375.
so if you want to cut to .625 you need to make a path with that depth only.

wardsa
11-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello Tony,
Yes I am recalculating the toolpath after editing to .625. I tried different depths and got the same results.
Steve, I think you are correct in that I should just be able to do it one pass. It was just something I came across and wondered if it could be corrected. I'm sure it is something I might run into in the future.
Terry

knight_toolworks
11-14-2007, 11:45 AM
yep now you know. vcarve just makes it's own depth passes that somewhat evenly divide the cut depth. I have seen this over and over.

fleinbach
11-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Steve,

You brought something to light that I never realized. I guess I should have paid better attention. That being that when you set a depth in Vcarve say .625 and are cutting to a final depth of say .75 your path is equally divided into 2 passes at .375 per pass. I always assumed when setting a per pass depth that the first pass will be at that depth but it appears I was wrong. I also checked this out in Artcam and it works the same way. I guess as they say you learn something new every day. Thanks

knight_toolworks
11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I just checked it in parts wizard and the same thing.
now remember to ramp in that compression bit.

jsfrost
11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Terry,

If I want a first pass of .625 and a second of .750, I typically edit the bit to .750 or more. I then create two separate toolpaths with the edited bit, one at max cut depth of .625 and a second at .750. Both toolpaths are saved in the desired cut order in a single file that, I think, will do exactly what you want.