PDA

View Full Version : FreeMill??? Looks like MillWizard but no cost

gboss30
05-29-2003, 01:31 PM
www.cncportal.com

wingnut
05-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Looks great but, the free VisualMill 3.0 post procesor file doesnt seem to work with it?
Maybe its just me ? Let me know if anyone can get it to work with their Bot.

wingnut
05-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Ok FreeMill does work fine with my bot, my mistake in setting up the 3.0 driver.
Very nice program : )

bob
05-30-2003, 07:06 PM
just wondering what you use this software for

wingnut
05-30-2003, 08:39 PM
This programs main feature, is to create the tool paths in order to be able to shape complex 3D objects that have been made in programs like Rhino.

doug
05-31-2003, 02:46 PM
Is the web site listed above accurate? I can't seem to find it......
Maybe I'm lost.

gerald_d
05-31-2003, 03:46 PM
This (http://www.cncportal.com/downloadfree.htm) is the download page. Works for 3D solid objects drawn with other programs such as Rhino. Input file formats accepted are .vmp .stl .sla .3dm .wrl .raw

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
06-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Which post are you using to get it to work with your Shopbot?

Which post to backplot into Vector?

Thanks.

wingnut
06-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Sheldon
I am using the VisualMill 3.0 Free version post.
Once you have finished posting your file, you need to save it by placing .sbp at the end of the
name and save as all files as a Unicode.The new Shopbot3.0 will complain about the first two lines of code but after that it works,hopefully Mecsoft will update its driver for this version.

I havent tryed to backplot the file in Vector yet. Let me know if and how it works it works?

davidbeede
06-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Wingnut,
I think Sheldon meant what "post processor" you chose from Free Mills list when you saved your tool path. I toyed with it for a few moments, and all the output seems very machine specific. No G code - or anything that shopbot's converter could be used on. The default "post" of APT CLS generated a long list of goto commands which shopbot recognizes as comands, but this is still no shopbot file. Have you done anything that allows you to simulate a machine path in the Shopbot software?
Perhaps their Yahoo discussion group has some info that would be usefull.
David Beede

wingnut
06-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi David

Maybe I was misunderstood,the post processor that I used is the post processor for VisualMill 3.0 Free for the shopbot which is available at the Shopbot website and then must be installed in the post processor folder of FreeMill.

davidbeede
06-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Wing...
Thanks, that's much clearer.
http://www.mecsoft.com/posts.htm
This page has both shopbot, and shopbotGcode "posts" for download.
Haven't tried them yet.
David