PDA

View Full Version : New VCarving Software

tony_mac
08-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Sorry for the blatant advertising, but I believe this information is genuinely useful for the community.

VCarve Wizard is a totally new 'low-cost software add-on' for your Shopbot router.

The software converts 2D vector designs into beautiful, high value 3D V-Carved products, making your CNC machine more productive and hopefully profitable!

You can download the Fully Functional Trial version and cut decorative sample files on your shopbot router today.

Visit - http://www.vectric.com

The software includes the following functionality,

Imports vector designs - eps, dxf, ai & pdf
Design tools for scaling, alignment, welding, offsetting etc.
Instantly calculates perfect 3D VCarving (3D Engrave or Intaglio) toolpaths
Automatically identifies and fixes problems such as duplicate and open shapes
Calculates 2D Profile toolpaths for cutting designs out of the stock material
Creates high quality 3D simulation and colour shaded images with options for material type and fill colour for the machined regions
The realistic images are perfect for customer quotations & approval, marketing and web site content
Saves toolpaths for most cnc control systems (includes ATC support)

Download the Trial version + Training Tutorials and test it for yourself.

Tony Mac

http://www.vectric.com

Brady Watson
08-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Tony,
Wow!!! I love it! This would be a welcomed addition to anyone who wants to get right into signmaking. With VCarve Wizard and PartWizard it looks like you can pretty much have Insignia-like capability for next to nothing.

Keep up the good work!
-Brady

PS- The preview/rendering screen is awesome!

danhamm
08-07-2005, 01:44 AM
There are only 2 files that I could find that cut..but it did a nice job and very quickly..not a lot of useless moves.....but....these are picked and rendered files...would like to try my own..before I buy...

mikejohn
08-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Brady
I never thought I would say this, but I agree with everything you say about this program, from what I can see in the trial
I can go direct from AutoCad .dxf text to v-carve files.
Awesome!
I have played with this for hours, It is fantastic.

Kevin, I got an immediate return for the download. If you sent an email message then they were possibily sleeping ,looking at the time of your message,(or down the pub for a Saturday evening well earned pint). They are in the UK.

Dan, It would be nice to be able to cut a sample file, but then they will have to put a time limit on the trial software. Maybe an email may get them to produce a couple of cutting files for you.
..................Mike

Brian Moran
08-07-2005, 04:34 AM
Dan

There are 4 files supplied which will generate toolpaths. These are the 4 files listed in the 'Evaluation files to machine' section on the start page. Clicking on a link will open the file directly. The first 3 contain complete example files, but last of these files 'clipart.crv' contains 6 pieces of clipart (from the VectorArt collection) that you can arrange in any order and at any size. All the vectors from the example files can be cut on your shopbot. The 'Getting Started' guide accessible from the help file or from the windows start menu has a tutorial on doing this (Tutorial 4).

We know that people want to try their own data on a program like this before buying. This is why the program can import any data and calculate and PREVIEW the toolpaths. Our intention was that if you cut the sample files and compare them against the preview you will realise how accurate the previewing is.

The preview is an actual simulation of the tool moving through the material, so as long as your machine tool follows the toolpath path accurately, the end result should be the same. Obviously the simulation can't allow for the problems you guys face every day with cutting into real materials with real tools
. We just have to assume with the simulation that the tool goes where we tell it and the material magically removes itself leaving. a nice clean finished edge! However, I can assure you that when you see the tool being drawn in the simulation it is following the actual toolpath and we are subtracting the tool from the stock model at that point to generate the simulation, so as far as possible, what you see should be what you get.

Mike, thank you for the kind words. It would have been nice to have been down the pub last night, unfortunately I was here until 3:30 a.m trying to fix the e-mail responder problem that Kevin experienced (I think its fixed now, if anyone still has problems please e-mail us directly). However the pub definitely beckons tonight!

Cheers

Brian

jhicks
08-07-2005, 09:18 AM
Please help me understand what it does that Part Wizard doesn't do? I took a quick look at the samples and from what I can see its a nice program but I'm not sure what additional capability it provides that isn't already in part wizard? I'll investigate further but thought I would ask those who know more than me about such fine points.

mikejohn
08-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Is there another package out there that can V-carve as good as this package sems to, taking any .dxf or .eps I throw at it, for under$495?
Rams2D is the same price, but I couldnt get the demo to run, so can not evaluate it.
V-carve requires you to own Vector.
What are you all using for V-carving?
How good is it?
What did you pay?
...................Mike

srwtlc
08-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Awesome!! I've been wishing someone would develop a stand alone program like this since I got my Bot 5-6 years ago. On the surface, or screen, it looks great! I'm going to have to go cut a sample today.

I have used VcarvZ and would agree with Gerald, it just doesn't cut it (pun intended). Small circles and periods are a hoot and there are quite often many just wrong moves (all for the same price). I've also used Rams3D and it does great V-carving, but I don't like or need the rest of it.

I've looked at a number of other cam packages that can V-carve, but I could never justify the cost just for having V-carving. $495 is a lot better than $3000-$7500+ along with yearly maintainance fees etc., etc.

I haven't tried one of my own designs yet, but I'd like to know if you can V-carve to a limited depth creating the wall outline and then be able to do an area clear for the rest with a flat bottom tool? VcarvZ gives you a region that you can use for an area clear, Rams gives nothing, and from what I can tell with the demo of Insignia, it uses the same v-bit with a small offset (not good either).

Like this for example...

Brian Moran
08-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi, I’ll try and answer as many of the questions as honestly I can …

Gerald_D,
The software will currently make a pass following all around the edge of letter. This will mean that for say a letter 'I' we will pass along the centre of the letter twice. We did in early versions have the code only make a single pass but it would then involve a lift to reach other areas of the letter which typically left a witness mark. We may look at changing this behaviour in the future if the feedback we receive indicates that it’s required. In earlier versions we had made letters like the letter O be done in a single pass, but the feedback we received was that most people felt they got a better finish with two passes. If there is demand we can make this an option, but for the first full release of the software we have tried to make it as quick and simple to use as possible.

nic,
VCarve Wizard does not support VCarving on a curved surface.

Jerry Hicks,
I don’t want to enter into a 'my program is better than their program' type of debate, as these sort of comparisons are always much better handled by independent users who have experience of both programs being compared. Hopefully when some people have more experience of VCarve Wizard these questions can be answered by other shopbotters.

Scott,
Currently VCarve Wizard does not support clearing an area with a flat bottom tool like the example you have posted. However, as this is the first public release of VCarve Wizard we extremely open to feedback and development suggestions. We would like to develop an excellent working relationship with our customers and will offer all upgrades within at least the next 12 months free to people who purchase VCarveWizard V1.1.

If people have more specific questions about the software, I’m happy to answer them by direct mail or on the Vectric forum. To be honest, I’m extremely happy to answer them here as they get a wider audience
, but I don’t want to abuse ShopBots forum if people think the subject is not relevant.

Cheers

Brian

Brady Watson
08-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Jerry,
V-Carve Wizard lets you V-carve ANYTHING...PartWizard lets you v-carve just 10 set fonts & that's it. Between PW and VCW, you basically have Insignia....for $2500 less. You may not be able to do prismatics and bridging etc with the combo, but hey...with some ingenuity you can figure them out yourself.

Personally, given the quality of the program and what it can do for you, I think that $495 is a great price. There is also a really cool feature in there for duplicate layers after you import vectors that are laying on top of one another...a real nightmare in PW and Pro...VCW lets you blow away duplicate layers and keep just one! I wish that Pro had this!!!

I did a comparison between Pro8 and VCW...and Pro had a lot of extra moves and took about 40% longer to cut the same file. I think that this is a real winner! It's about time somebody got it right...

-Brady

billp
08-07-2005, 03:39 PM
I just had a chance to try a Beta of the program, and I too think it's worth every penny. For those people who want to add clean, accurate V carving to their arsenal, it's a no brainer...It complements most other CAD programs nicely because it is a dedicated, specialty tool. Good V carving can enhance anyone's files, and this package is capable of producing great looking product with clean, efficient code.
The interface is easily understandable, and most people will be able to create their work with little need for any help files.
(Personally I LIKE having a file cut my V carved letters in both directions, too many materials leave "fuzzies" after one pass, and the second pass saves me a lot of hand sanding...).

jhicks
08-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks, those were the inputs I was looking for. I hope I didnt upset anyone, I just didn't look closely enough and was only considering letters.
Next time, I'll study the topic more closely before asking questions and not jump to any conclusions.

paco
08-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Hey guys!

Prismatic letters/designs can be made in PW; depending on their size and what cutter one choose to use... if one added some calculation, no limits!

OH! VCW sure look promising!!!

3d_danny
08-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Gerald,

There is a ShopBot inch post but not a metric. I thought that was a little odd as this program came from Great Britain.

I am heading out to the shop right now to cut the cabinet door demo. It is a little strange in the demo as it says you can do what you want to with the demos but I modified the cabinet door demo to make it fit on a door that I already had and it wouldnt let me save it. That makes me a little leary as their cut file could be hardcoded and no toolpaths are really being generated.

I did find that when trying to resize a vector, it seem to only allows a proportional resize. It has a "exact dimension" selection, but it still does it propotionally. There are times that I like to stretch a vector for the alloted space. Since it is new software, I assume it is a bug.

Dan

billp
08-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Gerald,
Yes I have cut some files with the program, and they came out perfectly on the first attempt. Here is a screen shot ( albeit not a great picture..) of one of the demo files I ran...

Brian Moran
08-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Dan,
The demo should allow you to modify the size of the existing vectors and you can select which vectors you want to machine. You can also generate new vectors by offseting and still be able to machine the results. However you cannot introduce completely new vectors as that would effectively remove any aspect of it being a trial version. If you had not introduced new vectors and still had problems machining the file, would you mind sending us the file at support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) so we can identify the problem? All I can offer is our word that all the toolpaths are being generated on the fly, and if you play around with the clipart.crv example file I'm sure you can make enough combinations of designs to show that pre-calculating the toolpaths would be impractical.

The resizing being restricted to proportional resizing is a feature / limitation of this first version.

Gerald
We can produce a mm version of the ShopBot post very easily, but we wanted to be able to test it with someone with a mm ShopBot before including it as standard.

Brian

srwtlc
08-08-2005, 09:35 AM
I cut two of the samples yesterday and after some tweaking of the move/ramp speeds and the "minimum distance to check" setting, they cut flawlessly. I was able to generate new code after scaling and changing the cutter angle for the "Bulls Head" sample.

My PRT wanted to go from move speed to ramp speed very often in areas that it shouldn't be ramping, making for very hesitant and jerky movement (e.g. cutting the oval outline of the "Open" sign). I've noticed this problem with v-carving and have had a hard time finding the sweet spot ever since I started using SB3. Has anyone else had this problem, and what have you found to be your best settings?

I would like to see some enhancement to the drawing tools though. For instance, it would be nice to be able to draw with the "smooth curve" tool and connect the ends, make node smooth, cusp, or symetrical. It would also be nice to be able to bring in a .jpg on a layer that could be turned on/off for tracing over. Obviously this would mostly be done in another program such as CorelDraw, but the capabilities are there to be able to do it all in one app. All in all, I'm a future customer!

Scott

jkforney
08-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I have been using the program since fairly early in the Beta process. It does cut nicely and seems smoother than other programs I have. At my Camp Shopbot in October Vcarve Wizard will be demoed and put through its paces. We may even have Tony from the UK here to show it and Vectric has given me a copy to use as a door prize. Don't hold off buying it if you can make some money but one of the 60 or so shopbotters and wannabes will go home with one.

If I didn't think it is a great program I wouldn't consider giving one away.

As Lee Iococco says "if you can..."

John

pete
08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Bill, et al
What degree V-bits have you been using to test - thanks. Pete

Brady Watson
08-08-2005, 02:31 PM
I have used both 90° and 120° bits to test. Both work out nicely.

-Brady

3d_danny
08-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Has anyone used a 60?

Dan

Brian Moran
08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Dan,
We've been doing some testing here in the UK on a small engraving type machine using a 60 degree tool into sycamore and the results have been really nice. We've cut a few of the complex car vectors from the VectorArt collection like the one in the last sample file supplied. Obviously, on larger pieces a 60 degree tool will cut pretty deep.

Brian

matt_r
08-09-2005, 01:01 PM
I like it. From what I've seen so far, I'm very impressed. A couple of questions/concerns:

1) I was wondering about a text tool. It would be nice to be able to introduce lettering for V carving. Unless I'm mistaken, the way it sits right now, I would have to create the font in another CAD program, save it as a dxf, and then import it into VCarve Wizard. Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have a text tool.

2) The ability on the profile pass to be able to go on the inside or the outside of the given vector path would be useful.

3)A depth indicator. When the tool paths are calculated, it would be nice to know greatest depth. I realize that the program will warn you if you go too deep, but it would be nice to know if you are within .030 of bottom etc.

All in all, nice program.

Matt

3d_danny
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Matt,

I does have a depth indicator. Go to the toolpath tab, select a toolpath, and look below where it says toolpath summary. The minimum Z is the maximum depth the Z axis will travel.

Dan

matt_r
08-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks Dan. I thought I might be missing it somewhere.

Matt

danhamm
08-12-2005, 09:02 PM
"I am impressed " I purchased the above software,
and after a don't like your credit card dance, received permission to down load same. I cut a file, that I tried with other vcarve software
and never finished one reason was the dance of "Z" and the other was because it couldn,t handle it in one piece.
The file was:141,517 lines long, it finished in 1:08 hrs the X&Y were set at 2:50 in. the z: at 1:00 jog speeds: X&Y 12;00 Z:1:65,
It was "footprints in the sand" poem with a graphic of bullrushes, the font was timesroman
and it looks as good as or better than the pic.
that was shown..( I will try and attach a pic..
\image

joe
08-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Dan,

How do you compare this program with RAMS?

Since Rams does V carving as well as everything that Parts Wizard does, at $1,200, how would you compare the two?

Joe

normand
08-13-2005, 09:50 AM
good vcarv program? maybe. Now you have part wizzard to do 2d, this one for vcarv it wont be long before the need for another one to do 3d work and eventualy 4th axes. Now if you want to do something with 2d, vcarv, and 3d on the same piece you will have to file import and export from one software to another. Knowing that part wizz write sbp.files and art.only, is it possible to bring these files into this vcarv program. 500$ maybe ok if you could you sell the software when upgrading to something more powerfull.A little off topic but not by far the fact that us shopbotter think sbp. file as the only goal, cam software is for toolpathing and should have postprocessor for as many machine as possible. Not just in case you change your machine but to be able to post process for other that have different machines.It does open new door. I am really not been skeptical just my opinion

billp
08-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Normand,
Maybe I have it wrong, but I think the 'purpose' of having specialty programs is so that people can buy as much software as they need, at the time they need it. Obviously the solution for someone wanting to do 2/3D, as well as the 4th axis is to buy something such as Artcam Pro, or one of the other all inclusive packages. If you are like many people and only need to do V carving occasionally this would seem to make better economic sense as you can pay for your software as your work demands/allows.
I do believe that you can generate files for other machines besides the Shobot simply by choosing a different post processor. And you are correct; having the ability to make files for other machine owners is an added benefit to ANY software (funny how so many of the guys who run "big iron" machines have a limited software arsenal.....).

danhamm
08-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Joe, I cannot compare the two programs.
It has been a number of years since I tried the demo of Rams. I don't use Parts wizard , I guess I'm one of guy's it doesn't fit, or to lazy to learn it..I guess "need" is the biggest factor..
anyway this little program fits nicely into my arsenal.

normand
08-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Morning Bill
I am not wanting to ge right or wrong, just trying to look foward. And I am not the money is no object guy either, there are time you cannot avoid to invest, time or money.I have try many many demos cam software I wanted 2d 3d and vcarv the 4th axis could wait. I decide to go with visualmill basic for 1000$. Now when I upgrade to full version all that I have learn will not be in vain, and all my files will be usable.Of course it is twice more expensive than this 500$ one here. And again can you resell this software once you no longer need it. Bill funny we look up at guy with big iron machine there is also guy with little big iron that cost lot more than our sb that are doing minute parts it is all the same. Some time going the cheaper route end up costing more. Every one have a different need and all avenue should be evaluate.

jkforney
08-15-2005, 09:23 AM
One of the nice features of VCarve Wizard is the fact that updates of 1 upto Version 2 (I have no idea when 2 will be out or if there will be a 2) will be free. I do beleive that there will be at least 2 updates to Version 1 and maybe more. What they will consist of is anyones guess. It is nice to own a program that is not static but being improved.

John Forney

danhamm
08-15-2005, 04:35 PM
John, I really don't care if they do upgrade..
Nice features: cleanest cutting software even in dry cedar..control..make contoured offsets,pick the first two and cut ,the first and third and cut
inside and out..then use the profile tool..to remove..and done,
Hey Joe...you want a tool to cut out georgeous
letters..this is the software..I just wish that
my website was finished to show you some of the stuff I have done with it in this short time..
Just about every caligraphic image tha I can find,
And still there has been no bugs, foul ups, or
any of the usual damaged wood that I normally
cause..it cuts very fast and does a remarkable job on mdf..the fuzz stuff..the reverse second cut does its job..I will try and post and "A" that I cut from cedar for you Joe..7in.s high 3/4
cedar..the only problem with it is its truncated on one side because it ran out of board..cheers Dan.H

Brady Watson
08-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey Dan,
Click on my name and e-mail me your pics...I'll shrink them down in size so that you can post them here...or I'll just post 'em for you.

-Brady

paco
08-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey guys!

I'm VERY PLEASED too with VCW. So far, as Dan said, it's free of any bugs and weird habits. It does machine some faster than Insignia (what I have). In fact, I now do some of my projects with VCW instead of Insignia since it behave better, it's calculate faster and the support is WAY FASTER... thrust me about this!!! And what about the 3D rendering previewer?!?!?!

I've been in touch with Tony from Vectric to exchange and discuss about VCW and I believe they will make I GREAT software(s) provider with dedicate support!

Here a post, that I have made "approved" by the VCW team, for the Alpha tool with router control (spindle should be easy to make too; longer pause) and RPM display/user prompt.

4095 (3.3 k)

It need to be copy in the PostP folder of VCW in order to be available/use (C:\Program Files\VCarve Wizard\PostP\). From my download test, it need it's file extension to be changed from *.unk.txt to *.PP

Let me know if one need any help about this post.

Here how it output...

"
'File created in VCarve Wizard
'
'UNIT: Inches
'
'For ShopBot Control: SB3 Alpha
'
'Set router RPM to 13000
PAUSE
'
'Turning router ON
SO,1,1
PAUSE,2
'
MS,2.0,1.5
JZ,2.000000
J2,0.000000,0.000000
J3,2.432139,3.079250,0.250000
M3,2.432139,3.079250,0.000000
M3,11.753852,3.109009,-0.035596
J3,11.753852,3.109009,0.250000
JZ,2.000000
J2,0.000000,0.000000
'
'Turning router OFF
SO,1,0
"

I think some Botters will like this...

I have a more customized post for my own purposes (easy to change)... I have made them know about my wish for an "arcs post" too for the profiling toolpath...

Don't get fouled by the fact that it's main reason is for V carving; it can do much more if one plan ahead... I'll try to show you if I get some time for... just keep in mind that a software (no matter which) is only a plain tool; the user can make it do more with some "thinkering"... and testing!

Try it, you'll like it!

danhamm
08-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Brady thanks for the offer, I mite have to take you up on it..
My new laptop..Emachines all the bells and whistles..64 bit processor and bill gates new 64 bit software..when I go to upload the file..I end up back at the front gate..all the tabs that I had open are gone, and I'm looking at the desktop page..I can use internet explorer 32bit or 64 bit..it doesn't matter they both do the same..I did get one pic through though thats the curious thing..It also happens sending pics by email about half the time..if I attache them if
I insert them its ok...thanks again Dan

Brady Watson
08-16-2005, 10:27 PM
No problem, Dan! Looks like you have been busy with V-Carve Wizard!!!

burchbot
08-17-2005, 05:56 PM
I too have just purchased VCW. This is one nice program for V carving. If you have not checked out the trial version you should give it a try.
Dan

Tim (Unregistered Guest)
08-18-2005, 06:30 AM
hey Paco
Thank for the file . So insignia is not a good v carving program, for the price one would think that it would be. Are you sorry you bought it. Anyway I will give vcw a test drive.

paco
08-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Tim!

I managed to modified the VCW SB post for myself and shared it with VCW team and they agree that I/they should share it to Botters.

I'm curious how thoses who had a look at it liked the idea of the tool RPM display/prompt; I find this usefull since I set this parameter in my CAM softwares...?

As for Insignia;

first, maybe I should'nt have made the link with VCW to just complain about... anyway VCW and ArtCAM are not alike, different products if you ask me. VCW is new and a VERY RPOMISING piece of software!

Just to clear things about MY appreciation of Insignia; some people contact me to ask me if was happy with it and the purchase and I mostly said good about it... still is... but in the recent months I encounter some bugs, made observations and wishes for futur releases both at support and on the forum just to be close too ignored. I firmly think that Insignia is having problems with the V Carving strategie and it should be fix! Now for the rest of it, ArtCAM products are quite goods I believe, it's just that I'm having bad experiences with the support that come with it; I just sent two bugs reports and have'nt got relevant answers (just wait), one since about two weeks (should I add that I use this software for buisness)... I hope that it will change... or I will!

tony_mac
08-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Attached is a Metric Postprocessor for ShopBot users outside of North America who wish to cut the sample parts using the Trial version of VCW.

To use this postp simply,

1. Download the attached file
2. Save / Edit the filename to be - shopbot_mm.pp
3. Copy the file into the folder named,

C:\Program Files\VCarve Wizard Trial Edition\PostP

4. Restart VCarve Wizard and the new 'ShopBot mm' postp will be displayed in the pull-down list on the Save Toolpaths form.

If you need assistance with this postprocessor please e-mail - support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com)

A New Video Tutorial + Audio has been added to the web site that explains how the keyboard shortcuts make working with the software even quicker and easier.

Regards,
Tony Mac
www.vectric.com

Metric Postprocessor for VCW

4106 (3.0 k)

richards
08-26-2005, 02:26 PM
The V-Carve software looks good, but I need to carve plaques with text. What programs are you using to generate the text? All that I have is PartWizard2, AutoCAD LT and GIMP. The EPS file produced by GIMP fails to load into V-Carve. AutoCAD LT wants to save the text in its standard format (could be that I don't know what I'm doing).

Any suggestions?

mziegler
08-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Jeff, Will V-carve carve text imported from CorelDraw OK? I tested V-carve demo last week and was disappoint when it was not able to generate text.
Mark

paco
08-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey Mike!

EPS from GIMP are more raster type than vector... that's why it fail.

Could'nt you export text from AutoCAD LT to only vector lines?... or does'nt it have any export setting that can work out to VCW?

As Suggest, COREL Draw would do the trick quite well... and more...

Jeff, yes it will for sure. Just play with the exportation features (and file types) to see what suit your needs the best; AI or EPS file type should do the trick.

COREL have a 30 days trial... which I'm testing the V12 now. Quite powerfull for rendering projects (2D)...

Too bad PW does'nt export...!

bill_l
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Mark,
I use TurboCad and Corel Draw 10. Both programs will export to DXF. I've been exploding the text to where I can eliminate the fill, leaving the outline and saving as DXF. It opens right up in VCarve Wizard and works just fine and can be scaled as well.

Bill

tony_mac
08-26-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi Mike - The EPS out of Gimp only includes the image / bmp data and this isn't suitable for vcarving. If it can create vector lines / arcs then it shuld import correctly?

If Gimp has options to remove 'Colour Fills' or convert text to curves or something similar that might help you obtain the vector edges. If you can design in Gimp using lines and arcs / beziers, then I would expect it to export vector boundaries.

Does Gimp export AI or DXF formats?

You should be able to explode the text / shapes in AuroCAD LT and export as DXF, which can be used in vcarve wizard.

If anyone has AutoCAD LT - Please can you let us know how best to export dxf?

Mark - VCarve Wizard will carve Text + any other shapes exported from Corel as either eps or ai.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Brian Moran
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
If anyone downloaded the VCarve Wizard trial before Wednesday the 10th, I'm afraid the AI file import was broken as I had missed some files off the install. If the directory C:\Program Files\VCarve Wizard Trial Edition\Exec\PSInclude is missing then unfortunately you have the broken install.

If you need to import AI files and don't want to download the complete trial again, drop me a line at brianm@vectric.com (mailto:brianm@vectric.com) and I will email you the missing files.

Regards

Brian

srwtlc
08-26-2005, 07:26 PM
The correct thing to do with text in CorelDraw is to "Convert to Curves" any text before exporting. Some fonts may have overlaps and may need to be broke apart and then welded too. Although Vcarve Wizard may take care of those overlaps. I haven't run into that yet with Vcarve Wizard.

Scott

richards
08-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys. I bought a copy of CorelDraw 9 for just a few dollars from TekDealers online. It works great with VCarve. Installing the full version of VCarve was as painless as it gets. There will be a learning curve, but ...

rjguinn@optonline.net
08-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Mark,
I think your original question has already been answered.The 1st download of VCarve Wizard had problems importing early versions of .ai file format. Tony corrected the problem immediately.The newest download works well.I always export my CorelDraw files using the .ai3 format.
Mike- Corel will enable you to import/design objects/text & place them along either an open or closed path,etc. It will give you complete creative control over your designs.VCarve can effectively handle the CAM function.
Jeff

richards
08-27-2005, 03:26 PM
I've been playing with CorelDraw 9 and V-carve most of the morning as I experiment with GP grade acrylic. At the very least, I can state that I'm more than pleased with both products.

In the past I used PartWizard - which worked extremely well for me as long as I used one of the 'red' fonts. People kept asking for other fonts and other V-carved designs, which I either didn't know how to do or couldn't because of the limited fonts. CorelDraw and VCarve, together, solved the problem.

(There may be other software that does an equally good job, but I really hate to learn new software. I'm at the stage in life that reading and re-reading a software manual to learn the basic functionality is getting to be a real pain, so I'm beginning to look for the most simple solution to my software problems.)

mziegler
08-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys. Today I have been exporting text from CorelDraw 8 to VCarve with good result. Using CorelDraw to generate the text and exporting to VCarve seem be good combination. But the problem I having now is I like draw say a chip carving pattern in PartWizard and transfer it to VCarve. PartWizard won't export files unfortunately. Try copying to the clipboard and then pasting into VCarve, but VCarve willn't paste from the clipboard. Try pasting into CorelDraw but the drawing was mess up. Why? I don't like CorelDraw drawing tools, PartWizard's tools are easier to use. VCrave drawing tools are no good either. Do I need use some other drawing program to do patterns that can be import to VCarve? Any suggests?

paco
08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Mark!

Part Wizard being a quite interesting (and usefull) "gift" from ShopBot, I think your now ready for more... feeling the limits of it...

There many other 2D CAD (3D, say RHINO, can do this too) out there for you to try so you'll get a feeling of what's available else than Corel if you don't like it... Google some...

mziegler
08-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Just realize I have Autodesk QuickCAD on the computer. Can use that to generated drawings for VCarve. Problem solve.
Mark

tony_mac
09-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Some of the fantastic carved designs Paul Neilsen has produced with VCarve Wizard.

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn1.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn2.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn3.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn4.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn5.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn6.jpg

tony_mac
09-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Some Fun designs by Paul Neilsen.

Is the ball really flat?

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn7.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/pn1.jpg

danhamm
10-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Well folks..I have been playing with VCW ver.2 for awhile..and think I have discovered a added
bonus..I sent a line drawing from corel as a dxf.
and opened in VCW selected all and using the profile tool attempted to cut at .1 the drawing was of a bear..it rasterized it and cut it the same way a laser would..it took awhile but turned out very nice..also am very impressed with the rest of the improvements..with the simple tools they have added you can just about any cut you can imagine...cheers Dan

burchbot
10-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi Dan
What is rasterized and do you have a picture?
Dan B.

tony_mac
10-12-2005, 07:34 PM
VCarve Wizard Version 2.0 has just been released and all customers receive this upgrade free of charge. Please let us know if you haven't received your download and license information.

The New Fully Functional Trial Version of 2.0 can be downloaded from the Vectric web site.

www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)

A Big Thank you to all the 'Botters' who helped with the Beta Testing. Your feedback and ideas are very appreciated.

This release includes a huge amount of new routing and engraving functionality that turns VCW into a fantastic Sign / Decorative wood carving package.

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/V2/QueensHotel3.jpg

To see What's New in Version 2.0 click on the link below,

http://vectric.com/vcarve-download/WhatsNew/WhatsNew.htm

Support for flat bottom v-carving including using multiple tools to machine designs as efficiently as possible.
Designs wider than the tool diameter can now be easily machined in multiple passes.
Profiling now supports machining inside, outside and on the selected vectors.
Pocketing has been added with control over the number of passes and cutting direction.
A tool database has been added to allow tool geometry and speeds and feeds to be easily stored and recalled.
Support for ball nose and flat bottomed engraving tools has been added for both v-carving and 2d strategies.
All toolpaths can have a seperate start height allowing complex designs incorporating profiling, pocketing and v-carving with multiple tools to be produced and previewed extremely quickly.

Many, many more improvements.

Click on the links below to see more high quality designs produced using Version 2.0

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/V2/QueensHotel.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/V2/Printblock.jpg

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/V2/Sunbeam2.jpg

Tony Mac
www.vectric.com (http://www.vectric.com)

scott_smith
10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Botters, I have e-mailed support@vectric (mailto:support@vectric) about this but thought I would give you others the heads up. I’ll let you know what they say.

I'm using your V2 with a shopbot. I've run accost something that I'm not sure if it's my fault or the programs.

Using the 2d machining tool with an offset I get the j3 command above the material to the starting point:

MS,1.5,0.5
JZ,0.787402
J2,0.000000,0.000000
J3,3.750000,3.750000,0.236220
M3,3.750000,3.750000,-0.250000

When I try to machine "on vector" I don't get the J3 command and it would plunge into the material on the way over to the starting point:

MS,1.5,0.5
JZ,0.787402
J2,0.000000,0.000000
M3,3.500000,3.500000,-0.250000
M3,3.500000,35.500000,-0.250000

Is it me or the program?
Scott
P.S. your program is great!

paco
10-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Humm... look your're right...

... since you've already mail support, I believe it will be fixed in a short delay!

scott_smith
10-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, Brian M. already e-mailed me for the .crv file to take a look at.
Paco,
Did you get any ware with the (arcs) version of the post processor?
Scott

Brian Moran
10-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Hi Scott, I've fixed the problem - the optimiser was getting a little TOO enthusiastic with identifying redundant moves - sorry.

I've dropped you a mail to see if you can accept a 1.5Mb attachment - if not I'll put it on the ftp site to allow you to test it. This Beta version also supports a 'square' offseting option on the "Create Offset" page which you and Paco amongst others have requested on the vectric forum. There is now a check box on the "Offset Vectors" page called "Create sharp offset corners" which should do what it says!

If you could verify that the problem is fixed and get back to me that would be most appreciated.

Regards

Brian

paco
10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Hey Scott!

Not yet... but the more we talk about it the more chance VETRIC team will make it available.

I've just been phoned this afternoon by a TSB forum friend regarding VCW and we discuss about the issue you've just founded today and I told him that I was pretty confident that VETRIC team would fix the problem quite fast... in a matter of hours VETRIC team was working on it and now have something to test just to confirm that it's fixed! Is this GREAT support or what?!

scott_smith
10-13-2005, 07:55 PM
No kidding. That’s great support.
Now the spring on my Z-axis broke. Guess I’ll be calling Durham in the morning. Another company that I have been very happy with there support.

scott_smith
10-14-2005, 01:01 PM
And today we all have an update from VETRIC in our e-mail.

danhamm
10-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Yes we do..a very quick response to a problem I thought was my own fault..not zero'ing out the bit..
In response to "Dan Burch" a few post above, raster cutting is done in and x,y or line by line, like following the lines on lined page.
And no I don't have a picture..cheers

benchmark
10-15-2005, 04:52 AM
To Paul Neilson

"Some Fun designs by Paul Neilsen"

Hi Paul,

Great work with VCarve Wizard, the geometric patterns look really good. Did you just drawn them in Cad and import into VCarve or did you use another software to create them.

Regards

Paul Amos

paul_n
10-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey Paul....
Thanks for the kind words !!
I have been mess'n with this stuff for several years, after the Grandson, got a 'spiro-graph' as a gift one year, plus using the same type program from Bill Young. I have also found some designs on the internet.

Paul N.

tony_mac
10-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Another interesting illusion of 3D created using Flat VCarving - Paul N.

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/3DBall.jpg

pfulghum
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Would you post the Vcarve file for the 3D ball?

tony_mac
10-17-2005, 06:05 PM
This file + the others shown earlier in this post can downloaded from the Vectric Forum.

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38

The designs can then be viewed and edited using the Free Fully Functional Trial Version of VCarve Wizard, which can be downloaded from,

http://www.vectric.com/index.php?download

kr_fitz
10-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Just tried V Carve Wizard (demo) for the first time. My first impressions:
Would not import an AI file (the same AI file that PW1 imports fine). AI was created in Rhino 2.
Very "clunky" interface; i.e. not as intuitive as PW.
Nice rendering ability.
Too bad the demo is not fully functional as are the Rhino, Sketchup and many other demos.

Brian Moran
10-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Kevin,
Would it be possible to send the ai file to support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) so that we can try and identify the reason it wont import? As a general rule, it is usually more reliable to use EPS where available as a file exchange format as it is better 'defined' than the AI format. There are at least 10 different formats of AI file, each associated with a different release of Adobe Illustrator. The early versions are variations of EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) with a reliance on a range of external 'macros'. Later AI files are a variation of PDF.

tony_mac
10-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Hi Kevin,

Any chance you could let us have the AI file so we can identify why it can't be imported into VCW?

We believe the Trial Version does give users the opportunity to Fully Test the quality of the software by allowing many high quality decorative designs to be vcarved on their own CNC machine.

The Clipart sample alone (shown below) includes elements from the commercially available Vector Art Mega Collection (2 decorative borders, 2 high quality designs and 2 decorative ornaments) that can be arranged in many different combinations and sizes, toolpaths calculated, previewed, saved and actually run on most CNC machines.

http://www.vectric.com/vectric/samples/index.htm

The Trial version will also load / import most vector based designs, calculate toolpaths (vcarve, engrave, pocket, profile and cut-out) and preview the results, but not allow these to be saved. We believe that this level of functionality should be sufficient to allow customers to assess the suitability of the software for their own requirements.

Tony Mac

kr_fitz
10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Brian/Tony- You have mail.

kr_fitz
10-19-2005, 02:18 PM
AI Import Problem Solved:

Brian Moran posted a message to the shopbot topic
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/8872.html?1129683999 on Friday, August 26 with the following text.

"If anyone downloaded the VCarve Wizard trial before Wednesday the 10th, I'm afraid the AI file import was broken as I had missed some files off the install. If the directory C:\Program Files\VCarve Wizard Trial Edition\Exec\PSInclude is missing then unfortunately you have the broken install.

If you need to import AI files and don't want to download the complete trial again, drop me a line at brianm@vectric.com (mailto:brianm@vectric.com) <mailto:brianm@vectric.com (mailto:brianm@vectric.com)> and I will email you the missing files."

Brian sent the missing files and I can attest to the fact that VCW imports my AI files from Rhino perfectly.

-Kevin

kaaboom_99
10-24-2005, 05:27 PM
I want to start by saying that I just love this software and the availability for the $$$. I don't believe anyone can beat it. You people at Vectric are to be commended. After I purchased VCarve, in this first week alone I have recovered the cost of the software in sales. The products I am suddenly able to turn out are in stark contrast to the products (and mostly unsellable items) of LAST week.
Should anyone be hesitant at purchasing this software, you have to try the demo. You will be pleased I am sure, of the results you can attain right off the get-go.
Thank you Tony & Brian for making such a product available to us with very small shops, looking to get larger.

lto
10-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Could someone familiar with Insignia please explain just what would be the advantages/disadvantages between using a combination of Parts Wizard and VCarve Wizard versus Insignia only.

Thank You

paco
10-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi LTO!

For the first that come to my mind, VETRIC's VCW has

-GREAT SUPPORT

-MUCH better 3D rendering

-FAIR PRICE

-GREAT SUPPORT

-File type importation is MUCH better, work with "almost" anything...

Since I don't want this post to be too long, I won't go into the disadvantage of Insignia...

Have you tried it?!

lto
10-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Paco,

I use Parts Wizard exclusively. I have some jobs where it would be nice to have the tabbing available in Insignia. I am trying to find the greatest functionality while expending the least in time and money on multiple softwares. I haven't yet tried Vcarve, but it's obvious after reveiwing this thread that it offers alot.

billp
10-26-2005, 03:21 PM
LTO,
If you go back a few weeks Brady Watson explained a simple way to set up tabs without having high end software, in fact it is possible in PW. So if tabbing is the only reason to buy Insignia, you wouldn't have to go that route...
However, Insignia does have tools beyond the current scope of V Carve Wizard, and you might want to fully investigate both packages to see which one is a better fit for your purposes...
Either way, you can't lose as they are both good programs....

mikejohn
10-27-2005, 01:20 AM
With V Carve Wizard and the CD .dxf files metioned in the Minnesota camp thread, I guess the worlds your 'lobster' as far as V-carve patterns go.
.......................Mike

cabindoors
11-09-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm having trouble running VCarve Wizard on my Windows 95 computer for my ShopBot. Is VCW just written for newer computers?

burchbot
11-10-2005, 08:29 AM
This is from VCW web site
VCarve Wizard will run on virtually all home PC's and does not require any special hardware or graphics card.

The minimum PC specification is,

Pentium III 500+ MHz
Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP
128 Mb RAM (256 Mb recommended)
30 Mb Free disk space
1024 x 768 Graphics display
Dan

tony_mac
11-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi Tom,

Afraid VCarve Wizard doesn't run on Windows 95.

You will need Windows 98 or newer to run the software as Dan has so kindly pointed out.

Thanks Dan

Tony Mac

cabindoors
11-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Is anyone having as much trouble understanding how to use VCarve Wizard as I am?

When I purchased the software I thought I'd receive a "users manual". I guess the 10 page "Getting Started" and tutorials (examples) are all there is. They don't explain the "why" steps. (I'm a "why" kinda guy).

For an example, what in the world does "WELD" vectors do? What is the sequence to follow when "subtracting" vectors? Why does "Undo" button need to be pushed multiple times to repair a vector segment subtraction?

For me, a good "user's manual" with in depth examples would be just the ticket. I'm hoping that Tony and Brian are working on such a manual.

PS: I like the software and know it has potential but I can't afford the trial and error method to learn it.

paco
11-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Hi Tom!

I don't know neither about an extensive user manual about VCW... but you should'nt NEED one for using VCW! It's just to easy to use... made with this consideration in mind I believe.

Now, having said that, I'd suggest to join the VETRIC forum for any further information you may need... and you may learn even more from there. There is a quick link to the VETRIC forum on the HELP menu of VCW... and you may even want to look at the VETRIC/VCW section of the CNC zone (www.cnczone.com/forums/ (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/)) for some more...

I think Tony or Brian may chime in soon for a reply about this... or ask for it on the VETRIC forum...

Remember that any software still involve some learning, with or without user manuals...

richards
11-28-2005, 06:34 AM
Tom,

In addition to what Paco just wrote, have you looked at the videos and help available by clicking on the HELP button? I've found the VCW software to be about the most user friendly software that I've ever used with my Alpha.

paco
11-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Tom,

I'm now back; sorry I had to leave this morning...

About welding tools...

Welding two vectors make only one of 'em...

The first selected vector will be what left from a substraction; in the example above, I selected the circle first.

About the UNDO; it's just the way VETRIC made it I believe...

Don't make too many trials and errors; make a full use of the previewer which is a good one...

Brian Moran
11-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Tom,

The vector editing tools in the current version of VCarve Wizard are pretty rudimentary. This is why we say on the VCarve Wizard site...
"VCarve Wizard is designed to calculate high quality 3D V Carved or Intaglio engraved toolpaths for designs that have been initially prepared using a graphical drawing package such as Corel Draw or AutoCAD."

For the initial releases of VCarve Wizard, we have concentrated our efforts on providing robust and accurate toolpath creation rather than the drawing / editing tools. Although simple vector editing tools (including robust offsetting) are present and useful, we probably shouldn't have included the weld and subtract tools in the initial version as they are not used often, and the tasks they do would usually be carried out in the originating drawing package.

Having said that, I am currently rewriting the drawing tools to allow much better vector editing and support a more 'normal' undo mechanism. When I have finished this task, we will document the new expanded VCarve Wizard editing functions in considerably more detail.

In the same way that previous updates have been free to existing users, this update (which will probably not be complete until some time early next year), will be free to all registered users (as it will fall within everyone’s minimum 12 months of free updates).

Regards

Brian

tony_mac
11-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Tom,

There are 4 complete sets of fully documented training tutorials and video files with audio, on the vectric web site. These introduce the various tools / functionality and talk you through the VCW process.

http://vectric.com/vcarve-download/tutorials.htm

It might be worth downloading and printing the pdf manuals, so you can work through them. You can also save the Video presentations onto your PC and these are probably the easiest way to learn how the software works.

If you have any problems accessing these files or need our help please drop an e-mail to - support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com)

Hope this helps,

Tony Mac

slendon
12-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Have joined the band of happy v carve owners, and by luck found that if you copy from Part Wizard into Corel 12 using the clipboard, paste, and then save as an AI file you can then import to v carve.

Makes PW and V carve a pretty potent low cost package.

Steve

mziegler
12-01-2005, 05:33 PM
Awhile ago I try to copy from PW to Corel Draw 8 without success. This will be a good reason for me to upgrade to Corel Draw 12. Mark

slendon
12-02-2005, 03:03 AM
You can try this out for free by downloading the 30 day trial edition.

Steve

bob_anderson
12-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know where I can find good clean vector art. My experience with packages of clipart and vector art is they are very dirty and as a result I have to use Corel to clean them up. This V carving wizard program looks on the surface to be pretty good if one doesn't have to spend a lot of time cleaning up vectors.
Bob

paco
12-16-2005, 11:23 PM
www.vectorart.com (http://www.vectorart.com)

Brian Moran
12-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Bob,

I'd second Paco's recommendation of vectorart.com, over the years I have cut many examples from this collection without a single problem. Priced individually from the web site they seem to be $2.00 each.

If people are looking at vectorising bitmap clipart for V-carving there is a very useful thread on the vectric forum at http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73 which discusses some free raster to vector software (Inkscape) along images of the results obtained.

Another good free site is http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/ which has an enormous number of logos available as vector files. However, you may need to ensure that you are meeting any copyright requirements when using these.

Brian

ron brown
12-17-2005, 10:56 AM
I'll chime in here on Inkscape. I have been using Inkscape in Linux a while. The trace feature is pretty amazing.

Another program one might want to look at: http://www.xara.com/. I have a friend who uses Adobe Illustrator - I think - and likes Xara better.

One can actually "grab" images off the web with a Linux "snapshot" program, Import into Inkscape and clean them up there. I'm sure it can be done in WinDoze also. But for $2 it is not practical to do such things.

Ron

burchbot
12-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Roland DGA Corporation offers a free vectorart image daily. It's a good way to see how clean they are.
Dan

paco
12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
A quick note to let you all know that the ShopBot_alpha_inch_router_control.pp (PRT Alpha router/spindle control post) that I posted a few months ago (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=31&post=26940#POST26940) had a little "glitche" in it, Tony made the correction and it's now available at VETRIC Postprocessor Support Area (http://www.vectric.com/vectric/images/tmp/V2/postp/index.htm) along with installation instructions.

Was nothing major but prevent the post from working with the latest release...

A similar METRIC version is available too...

Oh... I see VETRIC team did like the idea of the router/spindle RPM display (from the tool librairy)... and the customized header too... I use this (enjoy) every day!
Watch for the next release guys; I think you'll be off your chair!

benchmark
12-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Hi Paco

I see the control post is under the Heading of PRT ALPHA would it be suitable for the PRT owners.

Thanks

Paul

paco
12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Paul!

Two parts of thoses "new" posts are a first that use the RPM parameter from the tool librairy from VCW of each tool to display it as a comment in the SBP output file(s) like...

-----

'File created in VCarve Wizard
'
'UNITS:Inches
'
'For ShopBot Control: SB3 Alpha
'
'Set router RPM to 12000
PAUSE
'
'Turning router ON
SO,1,1
PAUSE,2
'
MS,10.0,4.0
JZ,2.000000
J2,0.000000,0.000000
J3,3.435548,1.073609,0.200000
M3,3.435548,1.073609,-0.200000

-----

... and a second thet make use of the output (SO,1,#) to control the output #1. It could be modified to control any other output... the question is; are you using the output #1 to control your router/spindle?

srwtlc
12-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Paul,

Here's a post file that I've been using on my PRT. It has worked well for me so far. It also controls the router (PC) with the SO,1,1/SO,1,0 command. You can edit it to reflect your company/personal name etc. and save it with a name that you like with a .pp extension in the postp folder. As always, test it first.

Scott

PRT Post

4117 (3.4 k)

paco
12-19-2005, 11:38 PM
X-actly,

VCW post can be easily modified to suit personnal needs and wishes.

Scott,
I think you've gone too far with the VR display!

srwtlc
12-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Paco,

Yeah, that's a holdover from my early days with the dos software. I've always liked to have a place to easily change the ramping values if needed to smooth things out. With the latest Windows versions, it's not too big of a deal anymore. I'm just so used to having it there that I didn't think about it causing a problem for others. That line could/should be commented out or deleted if you don't want your ramping values messed with.

Scott

cabindoors
01-26-2006, 11:41 PM
It looks like VCarve Wizard has just made a new improvement to their program. As a new owner of the VCW software I looked forward to their so called "free" upgrades for a year.

Well, they call this improvement PhotoVCarve and it's not too free it's $150.

I feel like I've been cheated. Oh well. Any response, Tony or Brian?

gerald_d
01-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Tom, PhotoVCarve (http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/pvc/pvc_index.htm) is another (separate) product from Vectric. It does not replace V Carve Wizard. Have a look at the Vectric page (http://vectric.com) to see the products sitting side-by-side and not the one replacing the other.

Having said that, PhotoVCarve looks like it has amazing possibilities! Here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/11298.html?1138339240) is a new thread for it.

Brian Moran
01-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Hi Tom,

quote:
It looks like VCarve Wizard has just made a new improvement to their program. As a new owner of the VCW software I looked forward to their so called "free" upgrades for a year.

Well, they call this improvement PhotoVCarve and it's not too free it's $150.

I feel like I've been cheated. Oh well. Any response, Tony or Brian?

I'm truly sorry you feel you have been cheated by us launching a different product to VCarve Wizard.

PhotoVCarve is a very different program to VCarve Wizard; it works with image files rather than vector files and we believe is of interest to many people who have no interest in VCarving or already own alternative VCarving software. It does a single job of carving images into flat materials.

We are extremely grateful to all the people who have purchased VCarve Wizard, and we have emailed all our registered VCarve Wizard owners offering them a discounted price of $99, even though this has meant us having to refund $50 to a number VCarve Wizard owners who were too quick off the mark and ordered the new software as soon as the site went live!

We are still working on the next version of VCarve Wizard, which as promised will be free to all our registered users, there has been a lot of work done for the next version of VCW which has entailed a complete rewrite of the 2d drawing engine and improvements to the machining strategies. I hope you will be pleased with the improvements that are forthcoming during 2006.

Regards

Brian

btk
01-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Brian,

I think it is great that you are making these products seperate (as I already use different V-Carving software and do not have a current need to purchase VCarve Wizard however would like to purchase PhotoCarve seperatly).

Perhaps you can outline a list of future features on the drawing board (without revealing too much to competitors) that will define the products and some basic future products to prevent any misconcpetions of what the future enhancement of the products will entail.

Also, from a marketing message standpoint to prevent further confusion, perhaps it might be possible to market the additional functionality as "plugins" or "modules" to a very basic (and perhaps free/unsupported) core that does the basic drawing and perhaps V-Carves 1 Font and does a Photo Carve up to 400 x 400.

Might be more techinically challenging, however a plugin architecture is something that most legacy CAD/CAM vendors eventually evolve to and I would assume most wish that they had done from start

The products look great.

Brian

Brian Moran
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Brian,

Thank you for your comments; you’ve raised some interesting suggestions which we will certainly consider.

quote:Perhaps you can outline a list of future features on the drawing board (without revealing too much to competitors) that will define the products and some basic future products to prevent any misconcpetions of what the future enhancement of the products will entail.

There are two issues with this approach,

1)As you mention, there is an element of not revealing future strategy to competitors – this is a competitive business (as are most businesses).

2)

btk
01-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the response.
Your products are obviously doing just fine as they are and I am no expert. You have had nothing but stellar feedback on this forum. I just hate to see that after all that hard work you are getting some negative comments based on some marketing/communication issues (as opposed to features and technical issues).

However just one more comment that I forgot to add to my earlier post. In the past 15 years I have used many CAD/CAM packages pretty extensively including SDRC-IDEAS, PRO-E, UNIGRAPHICS, AutoCAD/MechDesktop, Alias/Maya.
However in the past few years, I can not seem to stop using Rhino. We have purchased several 3rd-Party Plugins for Rhino.
The plugins developed for Rhino leverage all the drawing capabilities of Rhino and the large established User base. Third party developers leverage this core and add on the CAM (or Rendering, or FEA, etc) functionality on top of Rhino. It works great and saves small developers a lot of pain in having to develop basic Vector (or even 3D) capabilities and allows them to focus on the their Value Added Functionility. Just some more food for thought. This is a bit of a converse to Vectric developing a plugin architecture but conversely building on top of another platform.

Basically what I am saying is perhaps in the future (when it is possible to clone your developers :-) ), you could consider releasing some of your products as Plugins for Rhino in addtion to stand alone applications.

Thanks,
Brian

burchbot
01-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi Tom
If you purchased VcarveWizard and you never received a upgrade for free ( but you do for a year ) it still would be the best deal in town If you felt Vectric was cheating you should have emailed Vectric to find out why. If you didn’t like the answer they gave than post your disappointment..
Dan

cabindoors
01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
I've recently taken some time and gotten back to Vectric's new software and really enjoy it. I highly recommend it. And I'm glad that I bought it. Here is an example.

Incidently, the plate was done (not totally) with VCarveWizard Version2. I used another program to type the letters and push a trace button on a photo.

Sometime, I'll download PHOTO VCarve and try it.

I look forward to Vectric's new program ALPHAMERIC VCarve.

Tom

paul_z
04-06-2006, 05:22 PM
After dozens of tests of the trial version of V Carve(I couldn't make it fail), I bought V Carve and am very happy with it. I am especially pleased with the cleanup pass which seems to eliminate the need for sanding.

paul60
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Edit/Delete this post
i am having the same problem with very jerky motion on curves i am using a shopbot router
prt96 standard . i realy need some help to solve this problem . if i design a file using vector software the cut is perfect ( absolutely perfect) At first, I thought it was a problem with my design so I went in and created an oval using v carve software. That did not help, same jerky motion, I also went into V carve into their sample files using one of there sample file and found the same jerky problem. This have nothing to do with cutting the material as it also happens when air cutting, I am sure there is something I am overlooking on v carve but I just cannot put my finger on it.

this was posted on vcave forum hope someone on here can help

patricktoomey
08-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Paul, what post processor are you using when you save the .sbp file? Make sure you're using the arcs/inch or arcs/mm post and not the regular inch or mm post. If you don't use arcs all curves will be broken into short straight segments. See this post...
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/14542.html?1156726868#POST39327

paul60
08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
patrick yes i am using arcs/inches also i tried a sample file that vcarve provided on there demo and having the same problem and nothing to do with material, as the same problem air cutting
thanks

brian_moran2
08-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Hi Paul,

Gerald - Paul has posted his problem over on the Vectric forum (I assume you are Woodguy7777 Paul?) and received replies from 5 different users yesterday (including Vectric). It was a national holiday here in the U.K yesterday so Tony was only able to reply late yesterday evening. I’ve been unable to log on to this forum at all (hence the new user name).

When the same question is posted on multiple forums the thread tends to develop more fully on one rather than the other. It then becomes very difficult to try and answer the question across multiple forums. If the same question is asked on multiple forums, we tend to answer the question on the Vectric forum as it will be seen by more VCarve Pro users there. By answering it on the Vectric forum it also acts as a resource for new customers who may come across similar problems and look for a solution.

Paul, the files you have sent to Gerald are a little confusing as you have two identical copies of one of the standard demo files and an oval you have created. More importantly NONE of the files have any toolpaths calculated. Without the calculated toolpaths we can not see what feedrates etc you are using. Can you post a file with the actual settings you are using for cutting so we can ask one of our existing ShopBot customers to run the same file on their machine with the same federates etc? As the replies on our forum have indicated we have many ShopBot users who aren’t experiencing the problems you seem to be having.

With regard to cutting an oval, I would not expect to see CG moves in the output from VCarve Pro as we draw ovals using 4 Bezier curves to make them simple and flexible to edit (an oval is obviously not made from 4 circular arcs, but could be approximated with a larger number of circular arcs, however it is then very difficult to edit interactively). One of the standard demo files supplied with the trial version of VCarve Pro is an oval sign and has been cut thousands of times without problems.

To do comparative tests between any two programs for trouble shooting it’s essential to use exactly the same geometry for both programs and ensure that the rest of the parameters, particularly feedrates are the same. Designs which look similar are often constructed in very different ways particularly in regard to whether 'curves' in the design are true arcs or really beziers or even approximated by small straight lines.

Tony has sent you two files created from the original files you stated you (and David) were having problems with. The files you sent us had been poorly vectorised from a bitmap and contained large numbers of segments and no circular arcs for the ‘arc’ shapes (I believe these are the files David has referred to on another post). Tony has cleaned one up one and left the other as it was originally so we could compare the output – have you run these files?

As you have had more responses on the Vectric forum I assume that this thread will be continued there?

Regards

Brian

gerald_d
08-29-2006, 11:39 AM
This thread has become very long - battling to load it on dial-up at home...

Message from Paul: "two files one for vector and one for vcarve . both of a 2inch circle
the vector file worked smooth no problems. the vcarve shudder like crazy . was so bad had to hit the kill switch. even air cutting. the same problem"

Zipped files
files.zip (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/files-14656.zip) (3.2 k)

brian_moran2
08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Paul has sent us these files and one difference we were suprised by is that the Vector output file doesn't contain any feedrates. Is this standard for Vector? If it is, what feedrate are you using on the ShopBot for cutting the Vector file Paul?

The VCarve Pro toolpaths seem to be set for 1.7 inches per second (100 i.p.m), is this a reasonable speed for a 2" circle on the SB?

John Forney has cut one of Paul's sample files with the toolpath prepared in both Vector and VCarve Pro. He has posted his results on the other thread here on the forum, but basically he noticed no real difference in the performance of his machine on the two cuts, so I would suspect a difference in feedrates when you cut the two files.

Brian

paul60
09-03-2006, 05:35 PM
i want to thank everyone who tried to help me with my problem . well we got the problem solved. after trying just about everything we decided to replace the computer and that was the problem every thing works perfect now so thanks again for all your help paul