PDA

View Full Version : 3D Studio Max output for ShopBot

shanhew@polaris.net
04-11-2001, 11:02 PM
I would like to know if anyone here has used a .dxf file exported from 3d Studio Max. If so, how well did it work? If not would anyone be willing to try a file. I'd like to know if I can use my existing $3,500.00 software for something other than animation....

thanks,
Shane

danhamm
04-12-2001, 01:38 AM
Send me one I will take a look at it.
Usually if a program will export dxf.lines
it will work.. Dan

birdsofplay
04-12-2001, 02:46 PM
Use MillWizard.
They say they will create tool paths from
3ds, stl and 3d-dxf files.

shanhew@polaris.net
04-13-2001, 04:49 PM
Thanks,

I would assume that it would work but MAX is somtimes flaky. I would need your address if you would be willing to try a file. I chiefly need to be able to reproduce moulding and fretwork but it would also be nice to use max to create things like birds and other 3d objects then send them to the shopbot and make the real item.

Thanks, Shane

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
04-13-2001, 06:13 PM
Sorry Shane, I didn't fill in all the boxes,
it's dan@burningimpressions.ca (mailto:dan@burningimpressions.ca)

birdsofplay
04-13-2001, 07:03 PM
MillWizard makes tools paths for a raster type of
back and forth machine movement. Not very efficent for "discovering" the art inside the material, which is what I presume that you really want.

Dan How will you be generating the tool path ?

I've hit on an idea of slicing 3d solid model with
"cutting planes" that yeild the intersection of those planes with the object. Of course this is time consuming BUT its cheaper than buying Zilliondollar software IF a guy only want to play with this kind of thing.
For lots of custom productions ya gotta have the good stuff tho :-(

danhamm@abccom.bc.ca
04-14-2001, 12:54 AM
Bob I have the "use" of most of those zillion
dollar programs,He just wants to know if the file
he is producing is useable,
I personally am a 2 1/2D I have yet to produce
anything that I could make a dollar off of 3D.

birdsofplay
04-14-2001, 10:09 AM
There ya go ! 3D is just too time consuming both in design
and in production time. Unless you have a rich benefactor
who wants to promote the Industrial ARTS :-)

Since I only try this 3d stuff on occasion I am not willing
to purchase expensive programs. So I keep fiddleing with
alternative techniques hoping that someday I'll
hit the real jackpot.

bill.young
04-14-2001, 02:32 PM
If anyone wants to try out some 3d software before spending big bucks, there's a free 3d modeling program called 3d Canvas that's pretty neat. You can download it from www.amabilis.com (http://www.amabilis.com).

Bill

birdsofplay
04-14-2001, 09:31 PM
Bill,

NOW this program looks like it has some BANG FOR THE BUCK !

Even WITH all the add-ons it's still less than $100.

At 10 MB, however, I'm gonna hafta wait till Monday to download this from the high speed line at work.

Cant wait till Monday !!! ... wierd , eh ? :-)

sheldon@dingwallguitars.com
04-15-2001, 07:48 PM
Bob,

Regarding your idea of slicing a 3d solid model (is that what the term "waterline" refers to?)I've been thinking of something similar and wondering what software is out there that could pull it off.

shanhew@polaris.net
04-15-2001, 08:01 PM
Thanks everybody,

Bob I'm sending along an inline image so you can get an idea of the contents of the test file as well to get the impressions other people here on how cleanly the shopbot and reproduce items like or similar to the one in the image. I patterned this after the image found on the front of the shopbot web site.

How this was done:
The file was created from a box as the base and using a circular spline which was cloned then made editable then reattached. Then the attached circles were extruded with steps to allow the twist modifier to bend interpolate at the mesh joints to work properly. The box was boolean unioned to the twist then collapsed to a editable mesh.

/image{Mesh view on left and solid on right}

Thanks,
Shane

shanhew@polaris.net
04-15-2001, 08:03 PM
Made a booboo

cheers,
shane

birdsofplay
04-15-2001, 11:25 PM
These look prety KEWEL :-) !

I have a Chess Rook with a double helix INSIDE !!!
and created with a Rapid Prototype machine using
a laser cured epoxy in a stereo lithography.
Got it from a Sales guy :-)

Re "waterline" ...
I dunno
My thought was to create the solid,
slice the "Half shell" that you want to create.
Then slice whats left at regular "Step Over" intervals.
Kinda like letting the water oout of the ocean to reveal more of an island, So I guess that water
line wouldnt be incorrect.

Some CADs have a 3D feature where you create a shape in 2D and then place a 3D line out into space and then project the shape along the line
to get a solid or tube.
More sophisticated CADs let you blend between different shapes along the "line".

So Shane...
How are you gonna mill that nifty shape ???
Looks like a tuffy to me.

shanhew@polaris.net
04-16-2001, 12:13 AM
Bob,

The Mack truck catalog has a plastic laser engraved 3D semi tractor suspended in the plastic
http://www.macktrucks.com/mackshop/images/m8527.jpg Really cool. Similar to the laser cured epoxy I think?

In 3DSMAX you can slice objects in a mathematic % then collapse the stack to produce meshes really quick.. In just a few seconds.. Just type in at what percent you want of the object on which plane.

I was talking to one of the people at shopbot and was looking at the indexer/lathe. I know that I need the indexer but I will also need to have software that can produce the tool paths from the mesh while considering the tool thickness/radius/offset.

I may be overlooking some details (please correct me if i'm wrong) but I was considering making a 3D file of "X" object that is detailless and in a oversize fashion then using an agressive large bit to remove the mass of material then cutting the smaller final mesh lines with a finer bit for closer details. That way I can reduce machine time.
The short and skinny in the above example: I would have built two models a rough model then a finish model to produce the single piece.

Ideas?

cheers,
Shane

birdsofplay
04-16-2001, 10:55 AM
The Chess Rook is a free standing hollow thangy.
Beats me how they got the truck inside the solid ?

Your notion is valid. It's called Roughing pass(s)
and Finishing Pass(s).

Get the trial copy of MIllwizard and play with it just for the experience. It wont let you save tool paths BUT you CAN view the tool paths in a verification mode. Kinda Kewel ! :-)

olivier
04-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Shane,

Do do your project you need Millit (Millit.com)
They have made a shopbot post for me, so it shoulc be available.
You can also constuct your roughing and finishing tools path "by hand" in Max. More time to program but probably much less to machine.

Good luck.
Olivier

shanhew@polaris.net
04-20-2001, 12:22 AM
Olivier,

How would you go about doing the tool paths by hand "in" max.. The only way that I can think of is I could create different files with sets of splines to represent a toolpath then change bits acorrdingly as per the file. Then run those paths in a path generation program? The software that generates the tool paths would assume that in each file the starting point is always at the start of a line or does it honor the specified XYZ coordinates of the virtual space.

cheers,
Shane

olivier
04-20-2001, 12:27 PM
Shane,

The method is simply to create a 3D dxf line which is going to be the line the tip of you cutter will follow. (with all details like z pull up etc...)
So you use the contouring and slicing tools in Max to create the typical back and forth movements you can see in 3D tool roughing tool path, and the last one is just on your part.
First you 'll have to separate your part to distinguish between what has got to be machined from the top and from the bottom. (see the strategy Millit use for more details)

Olivier

ron_cleaver
05-11-2001, 01:31 PM
3D Canvas doesn't work with Windows NT because it needs DirectX.