PDA

View Full Version : Importing Existing Tool Path into new design

kivimagi
08-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Is it possible to import an existing toolpath into a current design. Here is an example of what I want to do.

I have a toolpath for a euro hinge template. I'd like to be able to import this hinge toolpath, position it on any of the doors I'm building, rather than re-drawing.

If it doesn't exist, could you share with me how you handle this situation?

Regards,

Ryan Kivimagi

richards
08-03-2004, 11:22 PM
Ryan,

Adding a tool path is easy if you use a master file that calls each of the sbp files, which I call a script file (sorry, Linux is in my blood). For instance, if I were making a cabinet part, I might have the following master script file:

' Master.Sbp
' 3 Aug 2004
' mjr
'
' script to call each sbp file
'
'
' Do the hinges first
GOSUB HINGES
'
' Do the parts next
GOSUB PARTS
'
' Finish the program
GOTO FINI
'
'
HINGES:
'
' Hinge No. 1
J2,19,80
FP,C:\FILES\HINGE_FILE.SBP,,,,,2
'
' Hinge No. 2
J2,19,176
FP,C:\FILES\HINGE_FILE.SBP,,,,,2
'
'
' Hinges are finished.
RETURN
'
'
'
PARTS:
' Now do the cabinet parts
' Part No. 1
J2,0,0
FP,C:\FILES\CABINET\PART1.SBP,,,,,2
'
'
' Part No. 2
J2,20,0
FP,C:\FILES\CABINET\PART2.SBP,,,,,2
'
' Parts are finished.
RETURN
'
'
FINI:
JZ,1.0
J2,0,0
' End of program

Using the script, the J2 commands move the router/spindle to the correct X/Y position, and the FP command calls the file to execute. The '2' at the end of the FP command, forces the file to run at the current X/Y position. (See FP help for more information.)

Typically, I lay out parts so that each part originates at X=0, Y=0, then I make a nesting drawing with AutoCAD Lite with the part offset shown in the drawing. Then, I make a script file to call the cutting sequence of each part at the desired offset from 0,0. It's simple and it works.

Mike