PDA

View Full Version : Cuuting Deeper

wardsa
07-27-2007, 07:44 AM
OK, I'm going to try to describe this the best I can. I am working on my first project with VCP. I have done some other cutting on the project already without problems. Now I wanted to add a Loon to it. I uploaded a bitmap picture, converted to vectors, did the toolpath, everything looks great in perview. When I try to do the cutting just the tip of the bit touches the material. I have tried to make it cut deeper, but no matter what I do, it cuts the same depth, so shallow you can't tell what it is suppose to be. I've tried different tools and toolpaths; v-carving, profile with a v-bit and setting to make deeper cuts, but nothing. The tool thinks it's cutting something, goes through details of the vector, but is just cutting air. I hope I've explained this well enough, I'm brand new to VCP and Shopbot.
Thanks, Terry

tony_mac
07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Terry,

It sounds like you may have the Z Zero origin in VCarve Pro set off the Machine table and not the Material surface?

Check this by opening the Material Setup Form - 1st icon on the Toolpath Operations Tab.

If this isn't the cause please email the file to - support@vectric.com (mailto:support@vectric.com) and we'll take a look and get back to you.

Tony

dmidkiff
07-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Terry,

Check Z-zero and material thickness on material set up. Also check step down or pass depth for your tool. Hope this helps

wardsa
07-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, I figured it out...I think! Or at least I got it to work. Z-Zero and mat. set up was right. I think the problem was, because I was using a V-bit, I thought I had to do the toolpath in V-carving TP. I'm quessing now that is wrong. Is the V-carve TP primarily for lettering? I just did it in profile cutting TP and set it for a .125 deep pass. I thought I tried that yesterday, but maybe trying for an hour to do this simple task, I was mistaken. No harm done, every minute in this program is a great learning process. Thank to Tony and Dave for the response!
Terry

jsfrost
07-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Terry,

V carving is great for letters, and for other design elements that have smaller closed vector shapes. V carving is particularly good when the shapes have tight corners that regular bits can't fit.

When toolpathing lineart, I use trace along vector for most of the lines. With a 90 degree V, make the depth 1/2 the desired line width. Sometimes multiple widths/depths will give a better look.

With lineart, a V carving strategy works well for smaller design elements (eyes and such) that are formed with closed vectors.