PDA

View Full Version : Sbp toolpath

applik
11-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Been using the shopbot inch for toolpathing. Just noticed there is also a shopbot inch arc. Does anyone know what the difference is?
Shari

blaz_in_az
11-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Shari,
I know ShopBot recommends the "inch arc" choice, because it does a better job. Look at ShopBot's web site under Support, Driver/Patches, and the ArtCam downloads.

gpari
11-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Inch arc adds in circle commands where it can. Makes the files smallers (reducing chance of communication errors). On my version, it also adds a command to turn the spindle on and off.

Gabe

Brady Watson
11-11-2007, 01:48 PM
The standard inch post outputs very small line segments whenever there is a curve in 2D that the machine has to negotiate. The arcs post, uses arc segments to define curves, and straight segments for everything else. You will get smoother cutting and a smaller SBP file by using the arcs post. FYI - straight segments are still used in 3D moves like a 3D relief cut or v-carving.

I've always used the arcs post, and only switch back to the regular post if I need readibility when editing or modifying the SBP file.

-B

applik
11-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I'll start using the inch arc toolpath even though most is 3D stuff.

thanks guys,
Shari

applik
11-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey Brady,
Just cut a plaque using the new sbp inch arc toolpath. Went out to take it off the table and it has a small hole dead center that goes all the way to the table (one inch deep from top of board). I checked the AC file and there is no hole there anywhere. I looked at the sbp file at the end and I can't see where it said to go to -1. Has this happened before? Sure glad it wasn't a door. Off to go mix some chips and glue to fill in the tiny hole and see how it comes out.
Shari

applik
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok, you can have a good laugh now. The plaque board was round and guess what; it had a tiny plug dead center that came out! So there's a good reason why I couldn't find anything in the files I guess. ;) The hole is patched and I'm off to the next project. Life is good again.
Shari

Brady Watson
11-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Glad you got it worked out...

-B